//

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help paving the way, Question to Ace team about getting into the game industry
donaldbelsito
post Feb 4 2014, 12:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,052

Hello Ace Team,
I am currently a college student working on my game design degree. Is there any advise you cane give me to help me on my new path?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Feb 4 2014, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

Hi Donald,

I'd first have to ask you where are you from? We're all from Chile, so it is likely that your situation differs a lot from someone who is here. Are you from the US? I'm assuming you are asking about the best way to get into the industry and again it really depends where you are and obviously I'd be much better suited to give recommendations to a Chilean student.

In any case something that I think is universal for most jobs in the game's industry is having a good portafolio / demo of something made by you to support your degree. I can't say how things are in all other countries, but here degrees carry very little weight, and they do more for programmers.

I'd also need to know what kind of design job you are aiming for (what position you want to work in) since there are different types of game design positions...

+Quote Post
donaldbelsito
post Feb 4 2014, 08:48 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,052

Yes I am from the untied states. Though i like my country a lot I don't want to be stuck working in the American market my entire career. I would like to get into the global market at one point.
It is funny that you ask what type of design I want to go into. I can say without a doubt I really don't know. I think your actually the first person to ask me that question.

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Feb 5 2014, 02:22 PM
Post #4

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

Design in certain areas can differ greatly from design in others. A level designer has a different job than a lead game designer or an interface designer. I'm not sure if you are looking into the different areas of design in your degree.

I any case I think what I suggested you before is the best advice I can give you - Make sure you create something of your own and use that experience as a complement to your studies. Get involved with UDK, Unity or any other technology. Make something interactive... learn a scripting language (Like Kismet in UDK). Any real experience will benefit you greatly and also increase your knowledge about game development.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2017 - 09:07 PM