Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Soundtracks lossless releases ?
leTrefle
post Jul 19 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,302

Hola!

First and foremost, I would like to thank the team for their games, particularly Zeno Clash, which atmosphere, design and humor are simply fantastic. I sure wish more games tried to be "different" like Zeno Clash did.

Anyway, I have been wondering if there were any plans to release the Ace Team games soundtracks in lossless format such as FLAC or ALAC ? (I am the obsessed collector audiophile kind ^^).

Thanks for your attention.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sere
post Jul 20 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,649

Curious, what playback gear are you using? I don't think artifacts will be noticeable with the 320 mp3's without the source audio as reference. If your ears are younger than mine then they may be sensitive enough to appreciate lowest audio compression.

I doubt there are plans to release the soundtrack in other formats atm given ACE's priorities as game developers. However, they are known to visit old requests and see what they can do when time allows. There is also the possibility that you would have to make requests to either Atlus, the composer, or both.

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jul 21 2014, 03:24 PM
Post #3

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

The main problem for this is distribution. The lossless files are so much bigger in size, that it just didn't justify adding all that extra download time for the few people that would really appreciate/detect the difference.

Basically, how could we get the files to Soundtrack purchasers through some method other than Steam? For a small studio like ours this could be a nightmare. We tried alternative distribution methods for the Zeno Clash OST (when it was first released) and it was too much of a hassle with very little sales that justified the whole process. :-/

+Quote Post
leTrefle
post Jul 22 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,302

@Sere: I listen music through fairly high-end headphones (HD 650), but I am not asking because it sounds really bad on it, rather because I am an incurable audiophile.
If you look at Rock of Ages of Zeno Clash soundtracks spectrals "closely", you will clearly see that most tracks seem to cap at 16KHz, which is a bit low. It could be some setting enforced by the MP3 encoder or due to something else entirely, that I don't know.

@Andres Bordeu:
Actually I have just noticed that Zeno Clash was distributed through Amazon.com, what a surprise (could that be the alternate distribution you were talking about ? ^^).
Bandcamp might be a good choice. I have only seen the listener/purchaser side of it, which is good.
It is extremely popular with indie and very small labels/groups, so I suppose it shouldn't be too nightmarish to use from the seller side.
A few example of video games OSTs which have been distributed that way are Dyad, Mercenary Kings (free download), OSTs for Swing Swing Submarine's games.
For free downloads, Bandcamp provides 100% free bandwidth up to 2*200 downloads (individual tracks OR full album) per month. For paid downloads, they take up to 15% fees, see https://bandcamp.com/artists and more specifically https://bandcamp.com/pricing

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jul 22 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #5

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

Thanks for the info leTrefle. I may look it up when I have some spare time!

It's quite possible Zeno Clash and RoA OSTs were released with higher compression settings.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2017 - 02:32 AM