Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your older games, How to play Zanzan, Dark Conjunction, Batman doom
DoctorPhil
post Dec 19 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,050

So a long time ago I read that blog post about those mods you guys made. Dark Conjunction and especially Zanzan seemed very intriguing. Now I came here and it sparked that memory again, now I feel like playing them and seeing as Zanzan requires Doom 2 I might as well play batman doom too. However, I'm kind of a noob at these things, I know I need Doom 2 and Quake 3 but no more. Can you guys tell me or point me to places that tell me how I can start playing these games?

Also, in that blog it says you made 6 games before, but the list only contains 5. Is Malstrums Mansion the 6th?

Thanks, you guys rock!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Dec 21 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

I don't know if there are any quick or easy methods to get them running (I actually would have a hard time remembering how). The original webpages for all these projects have gone down, so you'd have to resort to finding them in collections or vintage gaming websites. Moddb probably has the files to TDC... indeed it does

You can start out from there and hopefully get it running.

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Dec 21 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 283

I can't quite remember, but for Quake III I think you extract the mod directory to your Quake III folder then run the game with the arguments "+fs_game <mod directory name>" or something like that.
For Batman Doom I think one of the source ports was needed but I can't remember which one.

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Dec 22 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #4

Batman Doom will run on ZDoom and PRBoom I think. I'd try first with ZDoom.

+Quote Post
Gentleman
post Dec 26 2012, 09:43 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 739

Zanzan runs well on GZDoom. I played it recently for a review, (where I unfortunately had a lot to complain about in the game) and I had used GZDoom because I had problems with ZDoom and Zandronum.

--------------------
Zeno Clash 2!

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Dec 27 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Gentleman @ Dec 26 2012, 09:43 AM) *
Zanzan runs well on GZDoom. I played it recently for a review, (where I unfortunately had a lot to complain about in the game) and I had used GZDoom because I had problems with ZDoom and Zandronum.

Link to the review? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Gentleman
post Jan 1 2013, 01:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV9AUo7KATo

Apologies for seeming to dislike this mod. It's interesting, but honestly, it left a lot to be desired.

Also this is the first review I have ever done, so keep that in mind. I chose Zanzan because for the most part, it was a short game, and I was trying to get a grip on the review process.

I wouldn't mind a bit of feedback on it though. It's a little awkward considering it's one of your own games I'm reviewing.

--------------------
Zeno Clash 2!

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jan 2 2013, 10:56 AM
Post #8

LOL. You didn't get it to work properly. You're supposed to have weapons at the start. Even the second weapon didn't work (it's supposed to release an explosive particle). That souce poert doesn't seem totally compatible, so I'm afraid the version you played doesn't do justice to the complete experience.

Note that this game was developed exclusively by Edmundo when we were modding DOOM waaaaaay back then, so I guess he can provide more feedback. Was it really released in 2000?, I thought it was older, but I may be mistaken. It's a truly bizarre game, so it takes getting used to. It's even weirder than Zeno Clash. I always loved the 'out of this world' setting and surrealism Edmundo presented.

+Quote Post
Gentleman
post Jan 2 2013, 03:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I assumed there was something missing to the fire orb weapon. It didn't seem right that it would be so bad.

That hammer is all I really needed though. I still stand by my statement of it being the most fun weapon.

--------------------
Zeno Clash 2!

+Quote Post
Edmundo Bordeu
post Jan 2 2013, 04:31 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5

I just saw the review, and thoroughly enjoyed it smile.gif
Andres is right though, the game was made for "DoomGL" and with the newer ports and versions many things just seem to not work.
Someday I will put together a working version because this one has too many problems, I wouldnt recommend anyone to play this version :/
Gameplay problems:
-The first weapon not appearing by default
-The fire orbs weapon not working (it should create explosions and kill most enemies in one hit, but was dangerous to use because it could also hit the player)
-Did the "holy blade" weapon work? There was only one of them, but it it was a sort of "krull blade" that would return to you after you throw it
-Jump button with no default binding
Visual problems:
-Some transparent enemies which should not be transparent.
-No interpolation for animations, it all looks choppy
-Dark areas horribly dark
-Fog effects not working (the final scene of the zanzan going into the distance did look funny without fog)
-The "rave rooms" were also not supposed to look like that!
Well.. many problems

I thought the review style was funny, and valid points too (second half having fewer new things to see, some "enemies in corridors gameplay" which is hard but seldom fun...)
About throwing the player into the world without any backstory, it was intentional. I usually dont like backstories before a game, I like to figure out things as I go. Though In zanzan maybe I pushed it because the world is strange to begin with, and I gave too much information close to the end.

And giant frog creature dying in the first scene was the reason the whole mod was made, it just had to be there smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gentleman
post Jan 3 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I never actually got the blade weapon. All I had at the end was a hammer, the fire orbs and the "fist".

Also are there actually any different endings to this? Because I had the option to spare Zidivist, and I'm interested to know if anything different happens if he isn't killed.

--------------------
Zeno Clash 2!

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jan 3 2013, 09:56 AM
Post #12

As far as I remember the ending doesn't change, but the part where you face the council plays out differently if you spare Zidivist.

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 3 2013, 12:36 PM
Post #13

I think the ending slightly changes.

+Quote Post
Oook
post Jan 6 2013, 08:39 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,870

Some time ago I started playing TDC. I really liked it, but soon I got stuck, I think it was the third level, where I got to a chamber with two or three monsters with machines and tubes where I found no exit, after passing a labyrinthic sewer. Also, I wasn't able to save the game where I wanted, loading bring me back to the beginning of the level.
I'm gonna try this Zanzan, it looks soooo weird...

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jan 7 2013, 08:01 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Oook @ Jan 6 2013, 08:39 PM) *
I'm gonna try this Zanzan, it looks soooo weird...

Make sure to use GLDoom to avoid all the compatibility issues.

+Quote Post
DoctorPhil
post Feb 10 2013, 05:13 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,050

So I should just wait for this fixed version untill playing Zanzan? Hearing about these bugs, it indeed doesn't seem fun. Too bad, because it looks really interesting judging by that review.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2017 - 11:40 PM