Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Art in the challenge towers
hydra9
post May 6 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 507

I'm currently getting my ass kicked on the game's final battle, so I decided to take a break and check out the challenge towers smile.gif

Comments:

1. I love the 'tower' gameplay concept, and the way you've executed it!

2. The art and design are excellent! Now, this shouldn't be a surprise, but I was under the impression that you added the entire challenge mode in a couple of weeks? Anyway, you did a great job. I love the way the 'rope stairs' come down and particularly:

I love the bas-reliefs of all the game characters! Even poor Erminia has her picture there wink.gif

Out of curiosity: How long did it take to create the whole 'challenge' mode (maps, art, etc.) - And how late into development did you come up with the idea?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post May 6 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (hydra9 @ May 6 2009, 04:38 PM) *
I'm currently getting my ass kicked on the game's final battle, so I decided to take a break and check out the challenge towers smile.gif

Comments:

1. I love the 'tower' gameplay concept, and the way you've executed it!

2. The art and design are excellent! Now, this shouldn't be a surprise, but I was under the impression that you added the entire challenge mode in a couple of weeks? Anyway, you did a great job. I love the way the 'rope stairs' come down and particularly:

I love the bas-reliefs of all the game characters! Even poor Erminia has her picture there wink.gif

Out of curiosity: How long did it take to create the whole 'challenge' mode (maps, art, etc.) - And how late into development did you come up with the idea?

Thanks!

The rope animation was done by Gabriel using bones BY HAND ohmy.gif

I thought he used a physics simulator when I saw it...

I don't remember, but from initial tests to final details the challenge mode must have been a month - a month and a half of development time.

We would have liked to have the floors to look more 'unique'... but we didn't have enough time.

+Quote Post
hydra9
post May 6 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 507

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ May 6 2009, 08:54 PM) *
The rope animation was done by Gabriel using bones BY HAND ohmy.gif

I thought he used a physics simulator when I saw it...

I don't remember, but from initial tests to final details the challenge mode must have been a month - a month and a half of development time.

We would have liked to have the floors to look more 'unique'... but we didn't have enough time.

That's impressive. And I wouldn't worry about uniqueness... I think small changes are enough for this type of game mode. Besides, the uniform look kind of adds to the 'chamber of ordeals' vibe.

+Quote Post
*VeLeRoN*
post May 6 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ May 7 2009, 12:54 AM) *
The rope animation...

That was the best thing I ever seen in a game. I thought: "Wow; they added this right before releasing it, but it doesn't look rushed at all - on the contrary!" tongue.gif

+Quote Post
LTK
post May 6 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 547

I agree! When I saw that staircase come down I thought "Hey, that's a really creative use of that physics engine," and then you say Gabriel did it by hand? That's very amazing.

I think you added just enough variety in the floors of the challenge modes. If they were too different it might be hard to adapt to the environment with each challenge, but with the only variations being walls and pillars it worked very well. Oh, and reaching the golden staircase and the golden floors afterwards felt like a real accomplishment, that was a nice touch. I really liked the bas-reliefs too, they must have been fun to make.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: