Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sweetfx for rock of ages
tschumann
post Mar 8 2013, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 283

A graphics mod called SweetFX was recently linked on the Rock of Ages Community Hub: http://steamcommunity.com/app/22230/discus...46775281138010/

I haven't tried it myself, and I'm not sure how it works, but it looks like it relies on the engine loading the included (modified?) DirectX .dll files and then it does some extra processing when DirectX functions are called by the game.
If that's the case, is there any sort of anti-cheat in Rock of Ages that might detect this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Mar 11 2013, 08:58 AM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

Not really sure. Looks like it produces higher contrast from looking at the comparison shots. One of the programmers would have to check it out to respond your question.

Nice to know someone wanted to do a little 'modding' with RoA smile.gif

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Mar 12 2013, 05:38 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Hm, according to Wikipedia (take it with a grain of salt) VAC doesn't detect SweetFX. Not sure if there's anything similar in Unreal Engine 3 though.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Mar 12 2013, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

I can't see this being used for cheating purposes, so I'm OK if the author wants to post at the RoA hubs. Or am I missing something?

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Mar 12 2013, 06:40 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I completely agree but there's a Half-Life mod that uses its own renderer and the engine detects that as a cheat, so this sort of mod always makes me a little suspicious, even though it's clearly not designed as a cheat.

+Quote Post
sere
post Mar 27 2013, 02:23 AM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,649

I use sweetfx with good results in hawken. From my experience with it, as well as with d3d/dx overlays I can say that VAC and PB will rarely flag them as cheats. Mods and Utilities that hook into the game in the manner which sweetfx or MSI afterburner do will often come with a disclaimer during the installation process that anti-cheat software may recognize them as cheats. While it is possible, in practice it very rarely occurs. I have played a good range of online games using VAC and PB and not once did I ever have an issue with the anti-cheat measures stumbling on injectors,mods,overlays.

SweetFX and similar mods, having catapulted into popularity over the past few months, have dedicated threads and often "stickies" for them in many game forums. As rare as the problem is now for having a falsely flagged cheat, it will become even more infrequent given the fact that developers of both games and anti-cheat software cannot ignore the widespread use of sweetfx and "injectors". Their products will adjust to this reality I think.

Since it is mostly stuff dealing with the framebuffer or raster, cheat programs would have no use for that area nor would and anti-cheat program suspect trouble from such images. I talked out of my butt just now but would love to hear the right answer.

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Mar 27 2013, 07:53 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I've read that VAC checks for modifications to process memory (specifically the code segment). If that's true and Unreal's cheat protection does something similar I would think that this isn't a problem (though I can't say so with any certainty).
This mod appears to override functions when the engine loads, but the engine probably doesn't see it as modifying process memory because the overrides probably get loaded before a CRC of process memory is taken. If it did the overriding at runtime there might be a problem but it seems like this mod doesn't work that way (again, I can't say so with any certainty).

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 12:39 AM