Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crash on startup
Nikoliagrinko
post Jun 30 2014, 04:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,266

Every time I try to play rock of ages the game goes to a black screen and then crashes and says "RoA.exe has stopped working". Nothing I've done so far seems to work. Other people seem to have this issue and you keep linking them to these two threads:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...ghlight=directx
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...ghlight=directx

One of those solutions involves confusing and complicated instructions to delete a series of system files that could seriously harm my computer if done improperly (and that is assuming the instructions are not incorrect and won't harm my computer anyways if done exactly as detailed.) The other involves downloading a .DLL file that, when I googled, the results recommended I never install because it will likely cause system instability.

I feel like these aren't acceptable solutions, I'm not the only one with this issue and I imagine there will only be more people having problems since the steam sale and total biscuit recommending your game in a very recent video of his. Here is my system information:

CPU:
AMD FX™-4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz

Ram:
8.2 gb

Video Card:
AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series

I've tried re-verifying the game cache and that didn't work. Somebody recommended opening the task manager and ending the "taskhost.exe" process before starting the game, that did not work. I did what was detailed in this thread:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997597-rock-of-ages/61482663

Didn't work.

I didn't skip any installation process but when the game finished installing I received an error that disappeared too fast to read. I've deleted local game content via steam and reinstalled and that didn't work but I didn't receiving any error during the second installation which makes me think that steam didn't remove the game from my computer completely and I may have to do it manually so any instruction on how to do that exactly may help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jun 30 2014, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

Did you skip the Direct X setup when you first installed the game?

Unfortunately if you're not ok about tryout the solutions recommended in those threads there's very little help we can provide. We haven't revisited Rock of Ages in years now. Wed did a lot of tech support at the time and everything resulting from that is in the Steam threads. I don't remember anyone complaining that any of the solutions lead to computer instability though.

Did you at least try this?:

"Go into your Rock of Ages folder (steam/steamapps/common/rockofages/) and go into the prerequisite folder and try and reinstall the latest DirectX and the redist packages"

+Quote Post
Nikoliagrinko
post Jun 30 2014, 03:31 PM
Post #3

I did try that and it didn't work. I uninstalled my current version of physx and the ran the physx installer found in the same folder as those redist packages and that seems to have worked.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jun 30 2014, 04:13 PM
Post #4

So it's working now? That's great! Hope you like the game!

+Quote Post
Nikoliagrinko
post Jun 30 2014, 06:32 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Andres Bordeu @ Jun 30 2014, 05:13 PM) *
So it's working now? That's great! Hope you like the game!

Yup It's working fine now. Pretty fun so far thanks for the help.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jun 30 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Cool! cool.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 04:17 AM