Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I love ACE Team + Question
ENGINE-O
post Aug 26 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,213

I have just finished writing an email to you about an idea I have but I am extremely glad I stumbled upon this board. I love how you guys have responded to so many threads on here. It is great that you guys take the time to listen to what your fans have to say. I have never seen a developer so involved. Anyway I hope you get to read the email I sent to you. It is about something really important to me. I hope I can stay in contact with you guys as you continue to develop Zenoclash II. I am sure it is going to be a great game. The industry needs more game developers like you guys.

Also I have a question. Do you guys like fighting games like street fighter?
In addition, I would like to talk to you guys about something so is there anyway we can communicate through instant messaging or voice chat?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 26 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (ENGINE-O @ Aug 26 2012, 08:16 PM) *
I have just finished writing an email to you about an idea I have but I am extremely glad I stumbled upon this board. I love how you guys have responded to so many threads on here. It is great that you guys take the time to listen to what your fans have to say. I have never seen a developer so involved. Anyway I hope you get to read the email I sent to you. It is about something really important to me. I hope I can stay in contact with you guys as you continue to develop Zenoclash II. I am sure it is going to be a great game. The industry needs more game developers like you guys.

In addition, I would like to talk to you guys about something so is there anyway we can communicate through instant messaging or voice chat?

Hi Engine-O. Glad to have you around. I don't know where you sent the e-mail to (our contact@aceteam.cl e-mail?). That one can get pretty flooded with a lot of stuff so sometimes we don't answer for a while. We regularly check the forums here, so this is a good place to ask stuff and get in contact with us.

Instant messaging - that's harder since we tend to be too busy with work to have such a direct communication with people, so the forums should be your best way of getting in contact. You can also write via the personal messages in the forums. Andres and I usually are pretty active here.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Aug 27 2012, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (ENGINE-O @ Aug 26 2012, 08:16 PM) *

We're Smash Bros. fans here. Currently playing Project M (community hack of Brawl). We used to play Street Fighter 4 for some time, but we always come back to Smash Bros -it's way too addictive. smile.gif

+Quote Post
ENGINE-O
post Aug 27 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #4

I will just post my email here if your email is too flooded. Thanks.

Dear ACE Team,

I'm a fan of your game Zenoclash as it is one of the only first person fighting games out there. I am looking to work on a similar game whose main focus is first person melee combat. However, I am still learning how to program, model and animate. It is a lot of work for one person to do and I can't find anybody willing to help. I see that your studio had its roots in the modding community. Is there any tips you can give me on working on my game since you have had experience in creating a game like this? I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

I know you are hard at work on Zenoclash 2 but if you can spare some time to talk to me about this game idea I have I would really appreciate it. I have thought long and hard about the game I want to make but I do not have the skills yet to make it. I believe that melee combat in the first person perspective will be the thing of the future but so many game developers are afraid to touch the subject. Your studio does not seem to be afraid of creating something completely different as seen with Zenoclash. I greatly respect you for that.

I am only a freshman in college but I have dreams of becoming a game developer and I know I can do it. I'm currently studying computer engineering at Rutgers on a full scholarship. If you would like I can share my ideas with you and in the future we can work together. I contacted you because you are the only studio I know of that is not afraid to take risks and make a game focused on first person melee combat.

To give you an idea of what I have been working on, I can say it involves multi player, a feature that I felt Zenoclash both lacked but didn't need. I want to create a game that has a similar fighting system to Zenoclash but is otherwise completely different in terms of game play. Almost every game has multi player now and I don't see a reason to not bring this innovative first person melee combat system into a multi player environment. I can see the type of game you were trying to make with Zenoclash and I respect it. However what I want to do is bring that melee combat that so many enjoyed in Zenoclash and refine it as well as adding multi player.

I can talk forever about my game idea but for now I would like to end this email. I don't want to overload you with information about my game idea. I just wanted to open your mind on how such multi player can change the gaming experience. Keep in mind that this is not a suggestion to change what you are doing when you are working on Zenoclash II. I hope you respond to my email so we can talk about this more in depth in the future.

Sincerely, Harrison

P.S. Everybody I have contacted so far have either ignored me or put me down. I hope you do not do the same and truly listen to what I say. For a long time now I have just wanted to have a conversation with a game developer however they are either too busy or I have not tried hard enough.

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 27 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #5

Hi Harrison,

Thanks a lot for the e-mail. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed so much our game and that it is a motivation to make your own project.

The first thing I really have to ask is whether you really plan on trying to make this game all by yourself... because that would be a virtually impossible task. I don't mean to be pessimist or to discourage you from following your dream, but today just simply no one can make videogames at this scale by himself. Even when we started we were three (actually 4) and we went through a whole project that was a failure (search for 'Zenozoik' in youtube to see a video of our first failed attempt of doing Zeno Clash) before we were able to mature enough to make real games.

There is no way to make games without a team. The best you can aim for is a prototype if you plan on working alone for now. But it really depends on what you wish to become in this industry. Programmer? Artist? Level designer? There are so many different skills and specialties involved in games.

Are you learning a specific game engine?

+Quote Post
ENGINE-O
post Aug 27 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Aug 27 2012, 09:08 PM) *
Hi Harrison,

Thanks a lot for the e-mail. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed so much our game and that it is a motivation to make your own project.

The first thing I really have to ask is whether you really plan on trying to make this game all by yourself... because that would be a virtually impossible task. I don't mean to be pessimist or to discourage you from following your dream, but today just simply no one can make videogames at this scale by himself. Even when we started we were three (actually 4) and we went through a whole project that was a failure (search for 'Zenozoik' in youtube to see a video of our first failed attempt of doing Zeno Clash) before we were able to mature enough to make real games.

There is no way to make games without a team. The best you can aim for is a prototype if you plan on working alone for now. But it really depends on what you wish to become in this industry. Programmer? Artist? Level designer? There are so many different skills and specialties involved in games.

Are you learning a specific game engine?

Thanks so much for responding. Right now I am working solo as I cannot find a team to work with. I am learning for the Source Engine specifically. Right now programming is probably my best skill, but I am also learning to make models and animate. I have to tell you guys something. I give you a great deal of respect for your decision to make a single player story driven game such as Zenoclash. From what I have heard from interviews with other game developers a single player game such as Zenoclash takes more work to make than any other type of game. There are so many aspects that have to go into make a game such as that. That is why I am putting my focus on a creating a relatively small scale multiplayer game first, but I still need some help. Hopefully, I will find a team in college. Again I'd like to thank you for taking your time to listen to a fan like me.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Aug 28 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3

Good luck with your projects! A nice way to get people to support you is by starting with something very small, which you can build on your own, and later release it to the community and see if it gets attention. Many mods start out with a simple concept and begin scaling in size through continuous updates. Some people might be tempted to join your efforts if you have a really cool idea and you prove you can deliver a part of the experience.

+Quote Post
ENGINE-O
post Aug 28 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Andres Bordeu @ Aug 28 2012, 09:07 AM) *
Good luck with your projects! A nice way to get people to support you is by starting with something very small, which you can build on your own, and later release it to the community and see if it gets attention. Many mods start out with a simple concept and begin scaling in size through continuous updates. Some people might be tempted to join your efforts if you have a really cool idea and you prove you can deliver a part of the experience.

I'm thinking of starting out by creating a really good first person fighting system. Then I can place two players on a simple map and see how competitive and fun I can make it to fight each other similar to a fighting game in first person. From there I can build onto this immensely. I think the most important part is the fighting system, so if I can create a really great one that gets a lot of people's attention, they will want to help work on it too by making new characters, maps, or even animations.

Zenoclash has received a lot of attention for its unique first person melee combat, but it is still relatively unnoticed compared to larger titles that are also created by small teams like yours.I believe that is because first person fighting is just on the verge of becoming the next big thing. With virtual reality around the corner, people will truly want to play games such as Zenoclash that truly put the player in the shoes of the character. First person shooting distances yourself from the world and the characters in it. However, melee puts you up close and in touch with your surrounding environments. That is why I believe where we are now, with the Oculus Rift coming out in the near future, games such as yours will be truly sought after. I hope to become a part of this with my project and allow players to not only play through a story with this new perspective, but also fight each other.

You have had experience creating a first person combat system in the Source Engine with Zenoclash. How difficult was it for you to implement? Your team had to create this system as well as a create an entire game around it. That is quite a daunting task and I give you a lot of credit for being able to pull it off. I am hoping to just work on the combat system and let the other content of my game come from the modding community. Minh Le and Jess Cliffe created the super popular Counter-Strike in a very similar way. They basically created the game and relied on the community to make maps for them.

Something like this might not be able to be done for a game like Zenoclash, because there is a very specific experience that you want the player to have in the single player story. However, in a game like I am planning to make, it can be done and might be done better than I could do it myself. There are so many talented modders out there and I know I can depend on them. If you take a look at games like Team Fortress 2 and Dota, a lot of what is in the games are from the community. Those games show that if people truly enjoy a game, they will be willing to create content for it.

The fighting system in Zenoclash is great, but I plan to go a lot more in depth with the fighting in my game as it will have to be used in a multi player environment. How hard that will be and if I will be able to do it, I do not know yet. However, after seeing your games, I knew that it could be done. Basically, you have inspired me to actually take this idea seriously. I have had it for a while and I have always thought it would be impossible. Thank you so much for creating Zenoclash and more importantly actually giving me your support. I am very grateful.

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 29 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #9

Just start with a prototype - it can be with boxes and spheres (everything placeholder). If you will be working on the design and coding, forget about art and aesthetics.

I wouldn't recommend Source if you are going to be starting from zero. It's a great engine, but you'll find more community, tutorials and versatility with UDK or Unity - but I prefer UDK wink.gif.

Another suggestion is that you focus on as little design features as possible. Start with a very, very basic design and try to polish that first. Then you can build up from there. Example: Get the movement and basic punching OK before moving onto special attacks/combos/blocking/etc.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 01:32 AM