Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Endless Cylinder
Carlos Bordeu
post Jul 6 2015, 02:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

Hello guys! I've been working on a personal project for quite a while and I'm showing it for the first time today. It is a bit of an experimental game and I have yet to decide several aspects of the game's design, but you can clearly get a sense for the style and atmosphere by seeing the following video:

This is quite a surreal project and I actually started working on it after we shipped Zeno Clash 2. Well, I hope you like what you see and if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer what I can. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LTK
post Jul 7 2015, 06:45 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 547

Frikkin' love it. Do those creatures resemble arcade game characters (Q*bert and Pac-man) on purpose?

+Quote Post
Oxameter
post Jul 8 2015, 05:00 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,783

I absolutely loved this, I watched the trailer about 10 hours ago and thought about it off and on all day, and just watched it again now. I had two questions but it looks like they were answered in response to other people in the Youtube comments.

My first question was "HEY! Why are you abandoning your sibling who hasn't hatched yet?!?! Save them!" but you mention in the comments that you are considering making that an aspect of the game. Well, you have my vote for that being an option open to the player, I want to save that egg! I will say it should probably be easier to maneuver the egg than it looked in the video, as I can see it getting very frustrating, but you don't need me to tell you how to make a good game, I'm not a developer!

My second question was whether this project was going to be a game in the traditional sense, or more of a sort of interactive art piece, but you told someone on Youtube that "The gameplay is still in very early stages of development, but rest assured this is not one of those 'look around' games where you mainly wander through detailed environments with little more than the story." I was totally fine with a "look around" game if it had giant avocado flowers and elephant trucks, but a "real game" is fine too! Either way, I like that there is no user interface, I hope you manage to find a way to maintain that.

My only complaint is that I wish you hadn't shown us this early in development because now I'm going to have to wait for it longer than if I hadn't known it existed!

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Jul 8 2015, 06:45 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 283

I'll have to take a look at the comments later but I really like the alien atmosphere of it.

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jul 8 2015, 09:01 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Oxameter @ Jul 8 2015, 05:00 AM) *
My only complaint is that I wish you hadn't shown us this early in development because now I'm going to have to wait for it longer than if I hadn't known it existed!

Hehehe...

Unfortunately for you a lot of articles about game development are recommending you show your game as early as possible instead of waiting (this is especially important for titles without a publisher), so you'll have to blame industry trends for my early reveal. cool.gif

I also might get a bit of support from Epic for showcasing my work using Unreal Engine 4 (they are heavily promoting UE4 developments at the moment).

+Quote Post
Led
post Jul 8 2015, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,281

Yooo, this looks really interesting! Very much looking forward to playing this in the future smile.gif Hopefully Fallout 4 will be able to tide me over until then... cool.gif

+Quote Post
Oxameter
post Jul 9 2015, 01:12 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,783

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Jul 8 2015, 09:01 AM) *
Unfortunately for you a lot of articles about game development are recommending you show your game as early as possible instead of waiting (this is especially important for titles without a publisher), so you'll have to blame industry trends for my early reveal. cool.gif

Aha! Now I understand what Sony was doing with The Last Guardian. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jul 11 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (LTK @ Jul 7 2015, 06:45 AM) *
Frikkin' love it. Do those creatures resemble arcade game characters (Q*bert and Pac-man) on purpose?

Q*Bert kind of yes (When I drew the very first sketch I wasn't thinking of him, but the drawing came out to be so similar... I actually call him "bert" in the game files... though he has no name). Pac Man not really... but now that you mention it... the "chomper" does look like a grotesque Pac-Man.

+Quote Post
fsarl
post Aug 30 2015, 11:29 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,405

awesome!! love the worlds you guys create

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Sep 4 2015, 08:06 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (fsarl @ Aug 30 2015, 11:29 PM) *
awesome!! love the worlds you guys create

Thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post
sere
post Sep 20 2015, 10:28 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,649

Does the cylinder destroy, change, or "wipe the slate" the areas which it rolls? If you traverse the world fast enough (if it is spherical), I wonder if you can eventually reach the rear-side of the cylinder. Any escape/rescue ratio in mind for the game, if at all?

The truck body, being an older model relative to our world, gives the impression of moving antiques since the driving character seems to be a haul of Zenozoik "bad-guy" from clips of pre-Zeno Clash "Source" work.

Hoping for more info and updates as work progresses. Very big blip on my personal radar.

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Sep 20 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3

Carlos should probably answer, because he has more knowledge about the design behind the game, but as far as I've seen the cylinder flattens the surface and destroys everything in its path, so the surface that comes out on the other end is heavily modified. However, as far as I know there are no plans on being able to play on the other end, though this could possibly change in the future if there was a good design idea to support the feature.

I think the truck model is using all-new resources, because the Zenozoik assets would probably be too low res at this point, though maybe Carlos rescued some texturing data from 'Deinother'. Not sure though.

Carlos just recently showed me the new stuff he's working on for this project and it looks awesome. Can't tell what it's about unfortunately. But there's more stuff in the works, so keep that radar on! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Scribbles
post Sep 20 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,604

Carlos just recently showed me the new stuff he's working on for this project and it looks awesome. Can't tell what it's about unfortunately. But there's more stuff in the works, so keep that radar on! smile.gif

Atta boy Carlos biggrin.gif
Can't wait for more info

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Sep 29 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #14

The truck enemy doesn't use any data from Zeno Clash at all. Most of the models I'm using are a lot more high resolution (geometry and texture wise) than stuff we made for ZC2. I'm actually working on a pretty huge model that in it's entirety has near to 100k polygons (it's a special case). A high density ZC2 model would at most have 20k polygons.

With regards to going over to the other side of the environment:

The prototype (as it is now) has everything being destroyed, but in my opinion what is left behind the cylinder would require a much more custom solution in order to have an appropriate depiction of the "flattened" world.

In other words: What I have now works well enough because I know the player cannot be at the other side. If I want the player to be able to see behind, I'll have to create a custom solution / environment. I think that leaves it pretty clear that I'm still unsure whether or not I'm planning on allowing the player to visit the other side of the cylinder.

I've currently slowed down with production as we reach the more intensive parts of the development cycle of Deadly Tower. Hopefully I'll have new content to share not too far from now.

+Quote Post
Scribbles
post Sep 29 2015, 04:31 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,604

I'm actually working on a pretty huge model that in it's entirety has near to 100k polygons (it's a special case). A high density ZC2 model would at most have 20k polygons.

Dang, That reminds me of the people at Rocksteady talking about how one of their new character models had as many polygons as the entire environment of the first game (Arkham Asylum)
Its gonna be great whatever it is, really looking forward to more Cylinder news and don't forget to post some concept art a bit farther down the road, biggrin.gif I always love seeing the starting sketches and ideas.

+Quote Post
sere
post Sep 30 2015, 07:25 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 9,649

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Sep 29 2015, 04:02 PM) *
The truck enemy doesn't use any data from Zeno Clash at all.

I didn't mean the actual creature model was lifted from a previous game. I was trying to say that the style of creature that was driving the truck, according to my memory, fits the motif and could naturally belong to the zenozoik world from the unreleased game. When I said, "model", I meant literally the truck body; it's "make and model" relative to real world automobiles. Those elements together projected a simple yet clever notion of "past".. classic ACE team horned beast 'bad' guy joined with a classic automobile. It was a neat sentiment, whether 10k polygons or 10m polygons cool.gif

purely subjective

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Sep 30 2015, 09:08 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (sere @ Sep 30 2015, 07:25 AM) *
I didn't mean the actual creature model was lifted from a previous game.

Ah, ok. I think I got that mostly from Andres's answer anyways (about me using parts of the Deinother character of ZC).

Indeed the mix is in the style of several things seen in the ZC universe. I'm using surrealism as a source for inspiration (which is on par with ZC) and looking at some stuff from Dali. Here are some interesting images that show how he mixed real world objects with organic elements:

Automobile

Telephone

That telephone monster is awesome and creepy ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 02:40 PM