Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FULLSCREEN 1080P Bug, 25 FPS...
bhk3
post Dec 29 2014, 04:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,429

Ok, when I first got the game this didn't happen, I'm not sure when but it was at least 6 months ago is my total ownership time with the game. The bug is that if I do Fullscreen at 1920x1080, the game has an AWFUL framerate, I'm talking sub 25 for some reason. Yet when I do literally any other resolution, fps is like 80! Even the option of 1600x1050 which is right below 1080! If I get rid of full screen and do 1920x1080, it runs fine, but I hate the edges on my screen but when I do fullscreen it drops back down to 25!! I tried messing with the smoothframerate=True/False stuff in the config but It didn't do anything, just pressing fullscreen and having the reso at 1920x1080 just tanks the framerate. Even when I lower the settings to potato it still doesn't really reach 60, its like mid 40s.

i5 4670
amd 7870
8GB

I created an account just for this, I really liked ZC1 and rock of ages, I have them all for every system! I was gonna get the abyss odyssey double pack(I love you guys to death but I even wait for sales for my girlfriend sorry) for the holiday sale and I wanted to beat ZC2 before I could.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Dec 29 2014, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

Zeno Clash 2 has not been updated in a pretty long time, so it is very unlikely that this is related to the game if the title used to work correctly for you. We have not changed any performance or screen resolution things about the game for sure. You might be experiencing this problem with other Unreal Engine 3 games. I would start by looking into your graphic drivers ...did you update them or change your hardware?

+Quote Post
bhk3
post Dec 29 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Dec 29 2014, 07:16 AM) *
Zeno Clash 2 has not been updated in a pretty long time, so it is very unlikely that this is related to the game if the title used to work correctly for you. We have not changed any performance or screen resolution things about the game for sure. You might be experiencing this problem with other Unreal Engine 3 games. I would start by looking into your graphic drivers ...did you update them or change your hardware?

Thats the thing, I don't remember if it worked right out the gate or this problem was there before and I blocked it out. I have other Unreal games with 0 issues, All the bioshocks, both borderlands, both batman games, Hawken, Influx, and Mirror's Edge. So I have run UE3 games spanning from small student projects to full blown big investment games from big companies...

Only thing that has changed then is updating to omega drivers for my GFX card. Is it safe to do a rollback and then re-update to test if its really just that?

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Dec 30 2014, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 283

QUOTE (bhk3 @ Dec 30 2014, 09:56 AM) *
Only thing that has changed then is updating to omega drivers for my GFX card. Is it safe to do a rollback and then re-update to test if its really just that?

Probably shouldn't be an issue - maybe do a quick check so if that kind of thing can be problematic for your brand/model but reverting video card drivers seems to be a commonly suggested diagnostic.

+Quote Post
bhk3
post Jan 6 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (tschumann @ Dec 30 2014, 10:27 PM) *
Probably shouldn't be an issue - maybe do a quick check so if that kind of thing can be problematic for your brand/model but reverting video card drivers seems to be a commonly suggested diagnostic.

I fixed it, I ended up nuking my drivers and doing a clean reinstall of all my video stuff, I dont know what went wrong but I knew something was up when I started having similar issues in other games.

My next question relates to a shadow thread I saw on this board: Is there any .ini thing I can edit to reduce the pop-in or shadows just being weird? LOD I think might be an issue too, me walking 50 feet through the town has like 75% of my screen change because the shadows load in and the objects themselves seem to load in too. Sometimes it gets REALLY bad and whole walls turn into shadowy grids and meshes when I walk to and away from them, kinda like the sides of this forum actually!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWT0KvLEi4c...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Jan 7 2015, 03:18 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 283

Which thread and what is your graphics card? Are there any in-game settings that you can play with? I don't remember off the top of my head what options there are.

+Quote Post
bhk3
post Jan 7 2015, 06:15 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (tschumann @ Jan 7 2015, 02:18 AM) *
Which thread and what is your graphics card? Are there any in-game settings that you can play with? I don't remember off the top of my head what options there are.

amd 7870

This is the thread: http://forums.aceteam.cl/index.php?showtopic=4381

That video above is my issue, I have everything on max and low either reduces the shadows to unnoticeable, medium is the same thing and high has it everywhere of course. If it can't be fixed like the thread says, then is there a way to make everything load at once and load fully at a farther distance? You can see from the video the LOD being a little wonky, like the little bush hut having things protrude from it's roof disappearing and reappearing.

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 8 2015, 08:34 AM
Post #8

What you are seeing here are the different cascades of the shadow map. It has no solution, and this is a problem present in many, many dynamically lit videogames. I recently beat Grand Theft Auto V and the exact same problem was way more pronounced throughout the game (at least on consoles) than in ZC2.

A reason you wouldn't see this on any other Unreal Engine 3 game is because ZC2 is the only game that was ever made that uses fully dynamic lighting with shadow casting to create day-night cycles using the engine. Not even Borderlands, Batman Arkham City, Gears of War... none of them do it.

While the problem can be quite visible on the city levels, it is much less noticeable on the outdoor environments.

+Quote Post
bhk3
post Jan 8 2015, 11:23 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Jan 8 2015, 07:34 AM) *
What you are seeing here are the different cascades of the shadow map. It has no solution, and this is a problem present in many, many dynamically lit videogames. I recently beat Grand Theft Auto V and the exact same problem was way more pronounced throughout the game (at least on consoles) than in ZC2.

A reason you wouldn't see this on any other Unreal Engine 3 game is because ZC2 is the only game that was ever made that uses fully dynamic lighting with shadow casting to create day-night cycles using the engine. Not even Borderlands, Batman Arkham City, Gears of War... none of them do it.

While the problem can be quite visible on the city levels, it is much less noticeable on the outdoor environments.

Even the tree top hut gaining and losing detail is a shadowing thing? Im sure that's a LOD issue and I can increase the load distance, yes?

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 9 2015, 08:44 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (bhk3 @ Jan 9 2015, 12:23 AM) *
Even the tree top hut gaining and losing detail is a shadowing thing? Im sure that's a LOD issue and I can increase the load distance, yes?

If you are referring to the tiles of the house having the shadows of the roof pop-in and pop out, then no - it is not a lod issue. What is happening is that the shadow cascade is blending into a closer cascade (with higher resolution) which manages to have enough definition to self shadow the small tiles. The previous cascade does not. If you move slowly you will notice that it isn't that the house is getting a lod swap. What is happening is the shadow cascade is having a transition.

The best solution here would have been on our side - to mark the roof tiles of that house with a unique material id that does not cast shadows to avoid the popping effect which is too evident in this case. We could have done this with all the geometry which was too obvious but that would have required a lot of development time we didn't have for such a massive game made by such a small team.

Again - this is an inherent problem of all games using a moving directional light with dynamic shadows (with shadow cascades, which are most cases).

+Quote Post
bhk3
post Jan 9 2015, 10:04 PM
Post #11

I am referring to the tree top house.

15 feet away:

14 feet away:

It gains and loses detail in it's brush.

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 15 2015, 12:58 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (bhk3 @ Jan 9 2015, 11:04 PM) *
I am referring to the tree top house.

It gains and loses detail in it's brush.

Ah... ok. I see what you mean. Those are actually a type of lod which basically is 'max draw distance' (the hay tops are separate models from the roof). There isn't any way to fix that other than recompiling the level. No .ini changes will ever affect that since it is a specific flag of that specific model. :S

+Quote Post
sere
post Sep 20 2015, 12:00 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,649

QUOTE (bhk3 @ Jan 7 2015, 06:15 PM) *
amd 7870

This is the thread: http://forums.aceteam.cl/index.php?showtopic=4381

That video above is my issue, I have everything on max and low either reduces the shadows to unnoticeable, medium is the same thing and high has it everywhere of course. If it can't be fixed like the thread says, then is there a way to make everything load at once and load fully at a farther distance? You can see from the video the LOD being a little wonky, like the little bush hut having things protrude from it's roof disappearing and reappearing.

To alleviate most noticeable "pop-in", change these values found in C:\Users\...\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ZC2Game\Config\ZC2Engine.ini

MipFadeInSpeed0=0.3
MipFadeOutSpeed0=0.1
MipFadeInSpeed1=2.0
MipFadeOutSpeed1=1.0

To:
MipFadeInSpeed0=0
MipFadeOutSpeed0=0.1
MipFadeInSpeed1=0
MipFadeOutSpeed1=0.1
__

You can change all values to "0" but having at least some "fade-out" can be visually fitting and desirable.

Also, I am not sure if you change the game's management of texture streaming (disabling prevents textures loading altogether) or if increasing texture pool size even works. If I weren't so lazy, I'd monitor the resources the game calls upon and check mem usage.

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: