Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Origins of Halstedom?, Lookin' at you, Carlos ;)
Eilos
post Apr 29 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,258

Hey ACE! One of the things that continues to amaze me about this game is how much of it actually IS explained, from the egg sculpture to the name Zenos, and even the origins of the unique swear words in the language. One thing I've always wondered about, however, is the name Halstedom. What's the backstory to this name, both in real life (how you came up with it) and in-game? Has it gone through pronunciation changes in the way kak and tef did, or has the name always been the same? If it doesn't have an in-world explanation yet you can just make it up now wink.gif

In related news, I DM a group of DnD players and I've been spending a lot of time lately planning out a campaign to take place on Zenozoik, but maybe a few hundred years before the events of Zeno Clash- the Zenos will already have lost all knowledge of the real world and technological advances, but all 4 Golems are alive and are present in the local mindset as the objects of religion/myth. I plan on beginning with the originally scrapped Ashenak plotline (finally, he gets to be the badguy he always wanted to be!) and then in typical DnD fashion taking it wherever the players want from there- will they attempt to become the dominant forces on Zenozoik somehow? Will they just try to be explorers and map out the island? Or to meet the golems? They could even somehow escape the island and make it back to the "real world!" The possibilities are so exciting in this kind of setting and I'm looking forward to it greatly. I came up with the questions about Halstedom when I was considering how to handle it in my setting, so I would be very interested to hear if you have any backstory to share.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post May 1 2015, 08:31 AM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

The Halstedom name was created for the original Zenozoik (so technically it was created for a different game) and it sort of just simply passed over onto Zeno Clash as something that was inherited from our Zenozoik prototype. If memory serves me well, the name was created by a writer (3rd party to ACE) who we were asking to write the story of Zenozoik (it was our story, but we were considering outsourcing the writing ...this was the plot-line that included Ashenak). Later on Edmundo assumed the role of writer, and the original story of Zenozoik was changed for the much better one of Zeno Clash. How this writer came up with 'Halstedom', I honestly don't remember.

The origins for the name of the city would certainly be something that would be so ancient, that the Zenos (without any way of preserving history) would have lost. Halstedom must have started as a very small settlement, and the name could have come from pretty much anywhere. A rock, a plant, an animal...

Sounds like an awesome plan for a DnD session. Glad to see our mythology being used in such an interesting way smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: