Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadow Cascades
sere
post Aug 12 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,649

Does the custom day/night cycle affect/limit how shadows work in ZC2? I am enjoying replaying the game a couple more times; one attempt is for clean execution and high inflict/low receive damage for a final score (I think that's how it works) and another attempt is purely for graphics whoring.

The problem I am having with graphics whoring is that I am unable to solve the problem of shadow stripes on angles. There doesn't seem to be any setting that can be changed in the config directory and I am worried the problem is baked into the game with no answer other than disabling a certain class of lighting or shadow completely.

The shadow problem doesn't end there. I can't seem to increase the distance or radius at which certain shadows are displayed. Certain class of shadows will always pop in or disappear with a very harsh cut-off.

Normally, something of this nature wouldn't be a big deal for me but the shadow striping and short distance fading and popping are so glaring as to be distracting (difficult and next ot impossible to ignore) during the moments you just want to look around. If anybody knows how to achieve quality shadows please share the method because changes you can make in typical UE3 titles have no effect in ZC2.

--------------------
-sere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Aug 12 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

Carlos and Edmundo worked a lot on the shadow cascades. I don't remember much of it and Carlos is out this week. If you had questions about Zeno Clash 1 shadows I could help you! smile.gif

+Quote Post
sere
post Aug 22 2014, 05:07 AM
Post #3

Strangely enough, enabling, "retro mode" seems to fix this issue entirely.

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Aug 22 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3

Basically because you can't see anything? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
sere
post Aug 22 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Andres Bordeu @ Aug 22 2014, 10:06 AM) *
Basically because you can't see anything? tongue.gif

You're so perceptive tongue.gif

(get it?)

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 24 2014, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4

I posted this elsewhere, but Zeno Clash 2 is the ONLY Unreal Engine 3 game of the scale of a FPS or action/adventure title (AAA included) that has fully dynamic lighting using UE3. There is no other title to compare against and that is why:

"If anybody knows how to achieve quality shadows please share the method because changes you can make in typical UE3 titles have no effect in ZC2."

...won't work.

We tried to fix the stripes and problems you describe as much as we could, but I think this is clearly a case of us pushing an engine in an odd direction... just like with Source... rolleyes.gif

My guess is that not much can be done with config changes... but if anyone does find out something that does a substantial improvement please do post it here.

+Quote Post
sere
post Aug 25 2014, 01:28 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Aug 24 2014, 07:45 PM) *
I posted this elsewhere, but Zeno Clash 2 is the ONLY Unreal Engine 3 game of the scale of a FPS or action/adventure title (AAA included) that has fully dynamic lighting using UE3. There is no other title to compare against and that is why:

"If anybody knows how to achieve quality shadows please share the method because changes you can make in typical UE3 titles have no effect in ZC2."

...won't work.

We tried to fix the stripes and problems you describe as much as we could, but I think this is clearly a case of us pushing an engine in an odd direction... just like with Source... rolleyes.gif

My guess is that not much can be done with config changes... but if anyone does find out something that does a substantial improvement please do post it here.

I remember reading about the dynamic lighting and day/night cycles before. I was really impressed because I actually did compare it to implementation in other games. If I enable foregroundselfshadowing it works but I originally thought your custom work was a part of this before I knew better. I refuse to sacrifice any shadows because of the impressive shifts of the lighting. The cloud shadows are fantastic and don't stripe on ground or angles. Foreground and character shadows appear to shift and react beautifully. Self shadowing on characters and the cascades in the environments are the only two shadows that stripe but it's worth it. I can turn up the shadow depth bias enough to make it less noticeable at the cost of how much surface is considered shadow. Ultimately I tell my brain to treat the stripes as a sort of hatching technique and it looks pretty cool. It would be neat to have a special shader to conform shadow stripes into a certain style instead of a technical blemish.

Keep in mind I am not asking for something like that, just thinking out loud. Thank you for the replies. I was always curious if there was something that could correct the stripes but before I leave it, is there a way to extend how far shadows are cast? This is another spot where systemsettings.ini and flags won't have an effect.

I've been going nuts replaying the game. 3 new game files, 2 on my PC =o

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 25 2014, 11:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (sere @ Aug 25 2014, 01:28 AM) *
I was always curious if there was something that could correct the stripes but before I leave it, is there a way to extend how far shadows are cast? This is another spot where systemsettings.ini and flags won't have an effect.

The distance shadows cast is custom per level (it is a property of the dominant directional light object). I don't think you could change it via any .ini parameter.

QUOTE (sere @ Aug 25 2014, 01:28 AM) *
I've been going nuts replaying the game. 3 new game files, 2 on my PC =o

smile.gif Awesome! I went nuts re-playing the campaign in our endless QA periods. I think I was beating the game so fast to test it out that it took me a little over 3 hours.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: