Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> YEEEES
PetzI
post Dec 14 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 696

I just wanna say I am SO hyped that this game is coming! I didn't expect a sequel, and it looks amazing! Some things I'm dreaming for:

- More multiplayer game modes, maybe with longer matches and team matches

- Simple multiplayer features like being able to see the chat in the lobby and random map selection

- All our old favorite characters, like the Cabron!

- Community Map support

Share your dreams for RoG2!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Dec 14 2016, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

Hey @PetzI! Happy you are excited about the sequel. Regarding your questions:

QUOTE (PetzI @ Dec 14 2016, 02:44 PM) *
- More multiplayer game modes, maybe with longer matches and team matches

The game is debuting with War and Obstacle Course, but it's likely we'll add more game modes in the future, after release. Team matches is a default considering the game can now be played in teams (supports 4 players).

- Simple multiplayer features like being able to see the chat in the lobby and random map selection

The matchmaking is being revamped, but we might want to add some of those features down the road. Making sure the basic stuff is solid first.

- All our old favorite characters, like the Cabron!

Who is "the cabron?" That sounds particularly funny if you read in spanish smile.gif
The game actually features a new cast of characters and boulders. It would have been a little boring if we brought back all the old historic avatars. We wanted an opportunity to introduce new characters with new humorous sequences.

Community Map support

This would be really awesome, but it is out of our team's scope to provide something like this for our small team. However, we do have a map editor half way built for development purposes. We ended up ditching it, but if there was a huge demand for this feature we could consider developing something special in the future. Not confirming anything, but who knows.

+Quote Post
PetzI
post Jan 24 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 696

Thanks for you responses! Sorry for taking so long to read them, I keep forgetting to check up on this forum.

By "Cabron" I mean "The Great He-Goat". I always sort of assumed that's what you called him, since, as you say, it's a lot funnier in Spanish tongue.gif It's great that you have a new cast, of course, I guess I just expected the old characters to return because I assumed no new assets would be needed for them and, since the new game is more or less a new version of the old one, it would add more variety to have both casts available in multiplayer. But, as I said, I was assuming the only work necessary for that would be adding them to the menu, if that's not the case, no hard feelings!

I suppose it makes sense. Even if the map editor was available there probably wouldn't be a huge number of people making maps.

I'm really happy about the attention multiplayer is getting! I think Rock of Ages would be great as sort of a party game and 4-player support is a strong step in that direction.

One more question, will the old maps be part of the new game? Would they even make sense in the new game?

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jan 24 2017, 01:34 PM
Post #4

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (PetzI @ Jan 24 2017, 01:47 PM) *
Thanks for you responses! Sorry for taking so long to read them, I keep forgetting to check up on this forum.

No problem!

By "Cabron" I mean "The Great He-Goat". I always sort of assumed that's what you called him, since, as you say, it's a lot funnier in Spanish tongue.gif

Loving your new avatar image btw. :-)

It's great that you have a new cast, of course, I guess I just expected the old characters to return because I assumed no new assets would be needed for them and, since the new game is more or less a new version of the old one, it would add more variety to have both casts available in multiplayer. But, as I said, I was assuming the only work necessary for that would be adding them to the menu, if that's not the case, no hard feelings!

Only a few assets are being brought back from the 1st game. Since we're working on UE4, and the first game was made in UE3, there's a lot of considerations/requirements that the new production pipeline has to take in to account that the older game didn't. For instance, we're using PBR (physically based rendering), which requires our materials to be set up in different ways. This doesn't necessarily apply to the avatars, but we still built the menus from scratch, so everything that was in RoA1 will not automatically translate to our new systems.

There's a nice variety of humorous new characters to choose from. I'm sure you'll find one that you can identify with. Who knows, maybe we can think of bringing back the old cast down the road.

One more question, will the old maps be part of the new game? Would they even make sense in the new game?

This is impossible for the reasons I described in my previous answer. The game is being completely rebuilt from scratch. None of the old systems work/apply in the new game. We even redesigned technical requirements like how to manage the grid changes. Levels are monstrously complex and attempting to adapt a RoA1 map would probably take more effort than just simply building a new one from scratch (and they would also look really dated). That being said, we have at least two levels that are improved versions of RoA levels ("v.2.0").

Anyhow, even if we could easily bring back old levels I personally don't like some of the RoA1 map designs. Some of those I designed myself. I'd only consider remaking some of the more "successful" maps if there's demand for remakes.

Hope this answers everything! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 08:39 PM