//

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Better Optimization Options, It could be better...
Quanrian
post Sep 20 2014, 04:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,299

So I've bought your game... twice. Once for the 360 and now for the PC but I noticed some issues with PC that were odd to say the least. First, great job on getting the 360 version to run so smoothly as I look at the PC version and even with 'everything' turned off I can tell that quite a few things were omitted. However, this is where my issue is with the PC version. In other words, why can I not toggle off the things that made the console versions run so much smoother? To me, performance means everything and I wouldn't prefer console gaming if I wanted the best everything because honestly I just do not care about that. So rather than just complain about it I did note some severe performance differences.

To start, the soul arenas run perfectly, I mean like silk. So as a standpoint of the game running perfectly I used them as my benchmark. Secondly, I'm not positive but I'm fairly sure that black stuff you use to cover the screen is either causing the biggest hit to frame rate or it's how the game scrolls the screen. Alternatively, the game might be streaming too much compared to what was seen in the console versions and this is causing it to chug along as I noticed the worst performance hit simply by moving around. Lastly, why in the world are physics objects remaining around for so long and without any real point to them doing so?

Now, as to how to fix these supposed frame rate eaters I'm not entirely sure. However, some setting on those physics objects vanishing faster and maybe a way to reduce particles overall might be a good place to start. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit but I'm convinced the game can run perfectly fine on my specs albeit with some adjustments to graphical features I'm not concerned about. If nothing changes, at least the arenas and the Warlock fight seemed to run at a good clipping. Thanks for the amazing game, that I liked enough to buy twice!

--------------------
Eat the game before it devours your life!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Sep 22 2014, 02:46 PM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

The reason because arenas run much smoother is because the amount of objects in the level are extremely lower, and in addition those objects are 'static meshes', opposed to 'spawn-able meshes' that cannot use the full extent of optimizations the engine offers for obvious reasons (for being dynamic in nature). There's probably a couple of extra options we could allow to be toggled that could influence framerates a lot, and those can be accessed from the config files nevertheless.

In any case, there's a specific reason why console builds run smoother: we decided to 'bake' the lighting on background meshes to reduce the amount of dynamic objects in the levels. This is a big optimization, but it generated poorer lighting that didn't match the foreground as properly as if it was dynamic. This forced us to create a completely separate branch for console builds, so the PC version can't really inherit this change without a major update.

We understand that the PC crowd generally has more powerful computers, so we decided it was the best way to go in benefit of the PC group with 'good enough computers' that seems to be the largest group.

I think tweaking with the config files is the best recommendation for now, since there are no real plans to further optimize the PC build, (at least for now).

+Quote Post
Quanrian
post Sep 26 2014, 01:23 AM
Post #3

Just tell me what I need to change and I'd be happy to do it but I'm not sure what I should change or even where the file is. I would prefer the options be in the game at least at some point. I can tell you what I adjusted on my Nvidia cards settings if you're interested.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Sep 26 2014, 07:12 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 283

I think you can change the settings in the .ini files in My Documents\My Games\AbyssOdyssey\AOGame\Config, though which settings or in what file I'm not sure.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Sep 26 2014, 08:23 AM
Post #5

I'm not really the correct person to give technical advice on this matter. I'm sure that if I looked at the files I'd have some ideas to start with, but a more thorough understanding of what you should tweak would have to come from one of the programmers here.

+Quote Post
Quanrian
post Sep 30 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #6

I'm fine with that. Just anything that improves performance would be good and I can just test it. If I can come up with a profile of changes it might work well for others with low specs. I did enjoy seeing the new stuff by the way. Oh and in case you didn't know your game is no on sale for 33% off on the Xbox 360 but never sure how long their sales last since it's not specified. Thanks for the help and sorry if I'm in the minority here as I'm still using the gaming laptop I bought years ago.

Oh and it's likely important I mention my graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS 512 MB.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Oct 1 2014, 08:17 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Quanrian @ Sep 30 2014, 07:44 PM) *
Oh and in case you didn't know your game is no on sale for 33% off on the Xbox 360

We're aware! smile.gif

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Oct 2 2014, 07:13 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Have a look in ZC2SystemSettings.ini - the first part of the file has a lot of things that look like they can be set to false for performance improvements.

+Quote Post
Quanrian
post Oct 3 2014, 01:12 AM
Post #9

Not sure when I will get around to this but thanks for that information and I 'will' try it out and post my results when I do. If I can come up with some noticeable performance increases can we (developers with my assistance on information) possibly make it a greater priority to put said change into the game itself in a future update? Anyhow, thanks again for everyone getting back to me on this issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Oct 3 2014, 08:32 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Quanrian @ Oct 3 2014, 02:12 AM) *
If I can come up with some noticeable performance increases can we (developers with my assistance on information) possibly make it a greater priority to put said change into the game itself in a future update?

We'll take it into account, but I can't promise anything without having our tech guy involved first.

We're already working on a ton of updates for an October release btw... ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Oct 3 2014, 10:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andres Bordeu @ Oct 3 2014, 10:32 PM) *
We're already working on a ton of updates for an October release btw... ohmy.gif

Halloween?

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Oct 5 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (tschumann @ Oct 3 2014, 11:08 PM) *
Halloween?

Mmmm, can't really say anyhting... :-)

+Quote Post
sere
post Oct 7 2014, 11:54 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,649

Quanrian, your mobile video is adequate to run the game but as you already know, not without challenges.

Your video memory is limited so outside of simply lowering your resolution you definitely need to target the options for lighting and texturegroup lod (EXCEPT world,worldnormalmap,worldspecular <-leave those alone! You will cause "clipping effect"!). The game doesn't seem to be using any special shadows (dynamic shadows are disabled by default even for PC) but they do exist, though in a limited fashion. Disabling them altogether may give you a performance boost.

If you need specific entries I can list them but otherwise you should be able to see the most straightforward settings in Primarily the AOSystemSettings.ini and secondarily, AOEngine.ini. AOEngine.ini may even not need be touched.

If the game respects the mip levels as set in the AOSystemSettings.ini then you have some great tweaking possibilities to squeeze what you can out of that 512 Video Memory.

P.S. As a seasoned gamer in my 30's, it is my opinion that the settings already included in the game menu satisfy most needs. An in depth variety of options as you would find in a bygone arena shooter would be out of place for this game, especially since drawdistance and render occlusion aren't playing the same role in a side scrolling game. It really is appropriate to keep the rest of the changes confined to .ini tweaking.

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Quanrian
post Oct 9 2014, 01:52 AM
Post #14

Thanks that is 'very' specific on what I need to change. You're making me very confident I can enjoy the game on my PC at a good pace.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quanrian
post Nov 11 2014, 04:03 AM
Post #15

Going to have to take you up on your offer sere. I did start fiddling with the BaseSystemSettings file and turning things off by setting them false but I'm not sure how much of a difference it's made and I honestly probably turned certain things off I shouldn't have. Seems I've made the menu almost unusable after turning something off so it's a bright white and I cannot tell what menu item is selected.

Otherwise, are the developers aware that when you lower the game's resolution it totally fubars the gui such as health potions within the game? I'm really baffled why this would happen since there's pretty simple fixes for keeping them within the screen limits on any resolution most often described as a safe area. It's hardly game breaking but it's visually defunct to have nearly half the gui shoved off the screen because it didn't pull in when the resolution changed. The top two resolutions seem fine but anything below that is not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Nov 11 2014, 05:57 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Quanrian @ Nov 11 2014, 06:03 PM) *
Otherwise, are the developers aware that when you lower the game's resolution it totally fubars the gui such as health potions within the game?

How low?

+Quote Post
Quanrian
post Nov 11 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (tschumann @ Nov 11 2014, 05:57 AM) *
How low?

Anything below 1280 x 720. That's the lowest I could go without it happening, before I messed up the menu by turning off too much in the config. I have re-installed because it was easier than systematically going through all the configuration settings one by one and re-running the game. This time I'll be making a backup of any files I decide to 'edit'. Thus, I've also sent sere a friend invite within Steam so he can hopefully help me there with any luck since it'd be difficult to manage within the forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 08:54 AM