Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Controller keeps turning off
Gyrops
post Oct 30 2015, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,639

So here's what happened:

I got this game from the current Humble Bundle, installed it right away and playe it the first time today.

First hour or two went without a problem after I finally managed to change the language (an option in the setting would great), but all of a sudden I got knocked down while surrounded by 3 enemies. Then I couldn't get up.
My controller wouldn't react, nothing would work despite me pushing every button I could reach. When I looke down, turns out my controller wasn't on.

And from that point on, it continued to happen. At first I thought it was random, but as it turns out, my controller regularly turns off when I get knocked down or die in this game. There was that one time during the tutorial where the same happened, but gerting knocked down triggers is consistently.
I changed the battery, my controller is barely used, no other game has such problems.

It this a known issue? Am I the only one?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Oct 30 2015, 11:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 283

Not sure - I vaguely remember someone having a controller issue which they did resolve. Maybe try searching the forums here as well as the Steam group - I think the problem was incorrect drivers.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Nov 2 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #3

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

What controller are you using? The game has official support for the Xbox controller. Are you using another model? Have you searched for the problem in the Steam forums?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/

+Quote Post
uncontrolled
post Nov 18 2015, 04:34 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,650

QUOTE (Andres Bordeu @ Nov 2 2015, 05:42 AM) *
What controller are you using? The game has official support for the Xbox controller. Are you using another model? Have you searched for the problem in the Steam forums?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/

So you're telling me you have no clue how to use standard HID DirectInput, which would enable universal controller support?

Cuz you know, a game pad I've been using solidly since the PSX to USB adapter came out in 1995 (that's 20 years ago) works with anything else that has actual DirectInput properly implemented.

And DirectInput hasn't changed much at all since DX7, so there's pretty much zero reason to not know how to utilize it.

Sounds like you're only focusing on controllers you're getting PAID to support and forget everybody else because their chosen manufacturer isn't paying enough.

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Nov 18 2015, 07:04 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 283

QUOTE (uncontrolled @ Nov 18 2015, 06:34 PM) *
So you're telling me you have no clue how to use standard HID DirectInput, which would enable universal controller support?

Cuz you know, a game pad I've been using solidly since the PSX to USB adapter came out in 1995 (that's 20 years ago) works with anything else that has actual DirectInput properly implemented.

And DirectInput hasn't changed much at all since DX7, so there's pretty much zero reason to not know how to utilize it.

Sounds like you're only focusing on controllers you're getting PAID to support and forget everybody else because their chosen manufacturer isn't paying enough.

More than likely they haven't touched anything controller-related in the UnrealEngine 3 code

+Quote Post
uncontrolled
post Nov 18 2015, 11:11 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,650

QUOTE (tschumann @ Nov 18 2015, 03:04 AM) *
More than likely they haven't touched anything controller-related in the UnrealEngine 3 code

Hi. I develop games. UE3 natively supports DI out of the box without modification.

YOU HAVE TO TRY TO MAKE UE3 NOT SEE CONTROLLERS, even though it's a hybrid hunking mess of XInput and DirectInput support.

To boot, XInput (the newer DirectInput since 2005) hooks right into DirectX/DirectInput calls.

Zero reason for ANY controller to not work out of the box.

Protip from a seasoned dev: For platformers where timed jumps and such is critical, Dinput is FAR more responsive than Xinput in EVERY game. It's like ASIO for game controllers.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 06:58 PM