//

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is your favorite video game soundtrack?
sere
post Jan 23 2014, 05:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,649

No, not what you prefer to listen to while in-game music is muted but the actual soundtrack..

So, just what is your favorite video game soundtrack/OST or, what do you think the best video game soundtrack is if it isn't necessarily your personal favorite?

I'm going with tried and true Mega Man TWO!

--------------------
-sere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Jan 23 2014, 06:26 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 283

Doom's soundtrack is pretty good in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jan 23 2014, 08:15 AM
Post #3

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

Hey, a Bobby Prince fan here! smile.gif

Love both DOOM and Mega Man 2 soundtracks. Good choices! My favorite? Oh my... so hard to choose. Not necessarily being my favorite, I love the Quake 2 soundtrack. Wasn't it developed by Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails? Can't remember....

I'm also a big fan of Nintendo, particularly the Zelda titles, so there's a lot of themes I really enjoy from those games.

Finally, I think Chris O'Donnell did a fantastic job with the Halo games, (mostly the first ones). I also like hos work when he was just starting out composing music for the Marathon trilogy. Very eerie, ambient and a bit depressing. Ideal for a cramped corridor shooter!

+Quote Post
sere
post Jan 24 2014, 06:37 PM
Post #4

Quake 1 had the Trent Reznor produced soundtrack with the first audio track (track 2 in cd players) being the recognizable awesome we remember now with the other tracks being mostly audible atmosphere (a good thing). Quake 2 was more straightforward flavor of rock/industrial; produced by someone I don't remember who may or may not be affiliated with nine inch nails. I think Trent Reznor made additional yet infrequent contributions to id game soundtracks over the years.

Every Final Fantasy and Zelda contained very memorable themes as well as some throwaway tracks (Zelda 1 and 2 not so much).

I think now the best soundtracks are attached to low profile games. Momodora 2, as such, has a remarkable soundtrack.. it's unbelievable yet almost entirely unheard of. Pixel tone is a double edged sword, most games will be forgotten since they adhere to a dated trend.

I still daydream to ZC1 tunes on a daily basis.

"Bobby Prince" 3rd google result...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkCPK2m7D-8

That is a boss keyboard and I am not referring to the one used to demonstrate the chromatic scale!

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 25 2014, 11:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4

It is so interesting to see how id Software's origins are of games that were pretty kid-friendly (not mature or with gore). When Carmack programmed the side scrolling for Commander Keen the guys of id actually contacted Nintendo to see if they had any interest in his tech for PC games, but they turned them down.

I can only imagine the impact that it would of had to the development of the entire game's industry history (especially first person shooters) if Nintendo snatched up the talents of id and they were obviously working on non-FPS games. I certainly don't see Nintendo doing any Wolfenstein 3D.

So... I guess that was out of topic, but that's what I remembered from the book 'Masters of Doom' now seeing Bobby Prince talk about the vegetables music piece in that video tongue.gif

+Quote Post
sere
post Jan 28 2014, 01:22 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Jan 25 2014, 10:10 PM) *
I can only imagine the impact that it would of had to the development of the entire game's industry history (especially first person shooters) if Nintendo snatched up the talents of id and they were obviously working on non-FPS games.

You blew my mind at the idea of id eventually making Metroid Prime series (which still owes heavily to id's accomplishments and industry shaping). Further blown by the fact that Metroid Prime was made by a TEXAS DEV with a Nintendo sanction!

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 28 2014, 10:23 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (sere @ Jan 28 2014, 02:22 AM) *
You blew my mind at the idea of id eventually making Metroid Prime series (which still owes heavily to id's accomplishments and industry shaping). Further blown by the fact that Metroid Prime was made by a TEXAS DEV with a Nintendo sanction!

I forgot about Metroid Prime... (indeed a FPS) ...yeah that could have been an awesome thing!

+Quote Post
deloctyte
post Jan 29 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 628

Hands down, the Warcraft 2 soundtrack.

Oh, and quite a large chunk of the Command and Conquer series.

FTL is nice too. And MDK. Not to mention Portal 2. And Overlord 2. And Starcraft. And, ofcourse, Zeno Clash deserves some love as well. "Escape from Halstedom" is a favorite of mine. :3

The list could go on and on, really.

--------------------
Random scribbler and dubious madman.

+Quote Post
sere
post Jul 26 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #9

Abyss Odyssey is a very noteworthy soundtrack. I can see (hear) it being in plenty of peoples' top 3. I listened to it in the car the other day. This is only the second time I have wanted to listen to a game soundtrack outside of the game.

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Brent Clark
post May 31 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,136

You will find there's traffic jam on your property, with several connected items — with smartphones together with tablets to help laptops together with media streamers — competing to get a share to your wireless multi-level. According showcase research corporation IDC, the typical home has a lot more than eight linked devices.
Routers that will support the hottest wireless usual, called 802. 11ac, help relieve those issues by giving more as compared to four circumstances the throughput with 802. 11n computer. Plus, simply using a more successful process, newer routers can certainly help save power life on the mobile items. But you cannot assume all 802. 11ac routers are set up equal.
Based with our in-depth assessment and reviews greater than 15 routers, the Linksys WRT1900ACS ($180) is a good overall selection, thanks to help its excessive throughput together with extensive overseeing tools. Should you be on some sort of budget, buy Netgear's R6220 ($80), that provides welcome options like parental equipment alongside sound performance within a reasonably billed router. And people will appreciate enable you to customize that Amped Wi-fi RTA2600 Athena router ($160)

magento blog
magento tutorial
magento paypal setup

+Quote Post
Dmitriy Gorbache...
post Jun 9 2017, 05:38 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 13,738

Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. Aquatic Ambience is the most incredible thing ever.

And also Final Fantasy series soundtracks, especially FFX.

--------------------
Community manager at ACE Team.

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Jun 9 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 283

Just looking back I think still think Doom's soundtrack is the one that really sticks out in my mind. I think the only soundtracks that really stick out in my mind are the ones in games where the soundtrack is really in your face (like in Doom where it's looped continuously). Mario Karts 64 is another good one.
Half-Life's soundtrack has some good pieces too though I know them more from the trailers than in-game.

+Quote Post
Teely
post Jun 17 2017, 01:52 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 14,142

For actual songs I've always liked the Fallout franchise for its use of old music.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 12:08 PM