//

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Holy Mountian, Symbolism, Philosophy and a whole lot of weirdness.
Alexotronic
post Jan 12 2013, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,484

Hello, this is my first post on this forum! The most incredible thing about ZCI was the Environments and Characters. (execution of first person hand-to-hand combat a close second ;-).)

Have you all seen the film "The Holy Mountain"? It's an older "cult" film that is unlike anything I have seen. (The director is actually from Chile!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Mountain_(1973_film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071615/

You can watch the entire move on Vimeo!

http://vimeo.com/37625716

Be warned- there is a heavy amount of brutal and sexual imagery in this film.

I know that finding inspirations *coughjohnblanchecough* is important to the development of any art. If you end up watching it let me know what you all think!

Cheers to what I hope is the start of a long and meaningful relationship! ;-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 13 2013, 02:18 PM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

Hadn't seen it, and just watched it. Wow. Reminded me of Fellini's Satyricon - but unexpectedly even more weird. wacko.gif

Definitely one of the most (if not the most) bizarre movie I have ever seen. It's a very unique movie but obviously easier to grasp if you have knowledge of tarot, which I don't.

I have to say your warning of explicit content is very appropriate. I was eating something as I watched the film and wasn't capable of... errr... putting food into my mouth at the same time. Certainly not a film for all audiences. (This is one of those types of movies where 'what has been seen cannot be unseen'). So a big warning to those who stumble with this thread. blink.gif

It is an incredibly artistic movie with some striking imagery. There were some very surreal and awesome scenes, though I did enjoy the first half more than the second one.

Thanks a lot for posting the link. I don't know if someone else here at ACE has seen it (or dares to watch it). I think Edmundo would enjoy it.

Thumbs up!

+Quote Post
David C
post Jan 14 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

Jodorowsky for the win?
I haven't seen that movie but I enjoyed some of his other films (El Topo and Santa Sangre, not sure about the names in english).

+Quote Post
David C
post Jan 14 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #4

Also, if you are into european comics, you would love to know that he wrote several comics that were illustrated by some of the best european comic artists (I certainly enjoyed The Metabarons when I was younger)

+Quote Post
Alexotronic
post Jan 20 2013, 12:26 AM
Post #5

Just watched Satyricon. It really does have the same sort of "otherworldly" feel. I did a presentation on "La Dolce Vita" when I studied abroad in Italy. Crazy how different both movies are.

I still need to watch 8 1/2 (I am on a quest to watch all movies on the IMDB top 250)

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 23 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #6

If you haven't seen Zardoz, I'd highly recommend you watch it too. I doubt it is in the IMDB's 250 list, but still worth watching for the weirdness...

+Quote Post
Alexotronic
post Jan 29 2013, 02:05 AM
Post #7

Wait, so you're telling me there exists a movie where Sean Connery spends the entire duration of it SHIRTLESS!? Sold. tongue.gif

Just by reading the synopsis- I'm seeing some parallels between Zardoz and Zeno Clash... wink.gif

Haven't watched the entire thing, but I think these 2 videos would give anyone a good idea of what this movie is.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8z08s_th...ms#.UQXPgifO1Hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4y9xT-mfs

Makes me wonder what other sorts of 70's sci-fi gems are out there...

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 29 2013, 08:15 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Alexotronic @ Jan 29 2013, 03:05 AM) *
Makes me wonder what other sorts of 70's sci-fi gems are out there...

The Dark Crystal is by far my favorite (but it isn't from the 70's... it is from the early 80's). It's definitely not as obscure as other titles we've mentioned in this thread. Many here will have probably heard of it.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jan 29 2013, 08:18 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3

Haven't seen the Holy Mountain yet, but the weirdest movie I've ever seen must be David Lynch's Eraserhead.

(It wasn't used for inspiration in any of our games btw)...

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Jan 29 2013, 08:15 AM) *
The Dark Crystal is by far my favorite (but it isn't from the 70's... it is from the early 80's). It's definitely not as obscure as other titles we've mentioned in this thread. Many here will have probably heard of it.

One of my 10 favourite movies ever made! smile.gif
What ever happened to part 2 (The Power of the Dark Crystal)??? sad.gif

+Quote Post
Oook
post Feb 5 2013, 10:52 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,870

I LOVE The Holy Mountain. Zeno Clash also remembered me a lot to Jodorowsky's films, that colourful crazy world full of monsters, the journey of self-discovery and development, characters who act like gods... You really should give a try to El Topo, Holy Mountain or Fando y Lis, I'm sure you could find a lot of inspiration there.
Dark Crystal is awesome! Have you seen Labyrinth too? it's wonderful how they managed to create such a captivating world with charismatic characters, and David Bowie music!
Speaking about, will we find mazes in Zenozoik? I love mazes tongue.gif

@Alexotronic, 8 1/2 really disppointed me, I found it really boring, I had no interest in the characters nor had particulary remarkable scenes, it lacks the sympathy of Amarcord. Well, truth is most people really like it, but I prefer by far other films inspired by it such as Tarkovsky's Zerkalo.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Feb 5 2013, 01:21 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Oook @ Feb 5 2013, 10:52 AM) *
Have you seen Labyrinth too? it's wonderful how they managed to create such a captivating world with charismatic characters, and David Bowie music!
Speaking about, will we find mazes in Zenozoik? I love mazes tongue.gif

I saw it and I loved the art direction. Some really weird scenes, full of imagination. They don't make movies like that anymore.. :-(

We don't have a laberynth in Zeno Clash 2, but because of the bigger scale of the levels you might get a bit lost in some areas. Still, there will be several indicators to point you in the correct direction (for those who don't like mazes) :-P

+Quote Post
David C
post Feb 6 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Oook @ Feb 5 2013, 11:52 AM) *
@Alexotronic, 8 1/2 really disppointed me, I found it really boring, I had no interest in the characters nor had particulary remarkable scenes, it lacks the sympathy of Amarcord. Well, truth is most people really like it, but I prefer by far other films inspired by it such as Tarkovsky's Zerkalo.

I was listening to the music of Amarcord just yesterday, I was telling my wife how I have this vague memories of the movie and that I would like to see it again... let's see if I can find it!

+Quote Post
Guest_AaigloopIraMay_*
post Mar 13 2013, 02:39 AM
Post #13

Guests

Surprisingly this was the first sub-forum, thread i ventured into pertaining to Ace Team, and i feel like i struck gold happy.gif

Alejandro Jodorowsky, Jim Henson?!
the creators of Zeno Clash all discussing wonderfully bizarre films

i'm afraid i'm a bit late.. unsure.gif
but El Topo is definitely a cult classic with very wild and crazy images

I have yet to see The Holy Mountain, the clips i have seen were mesmerizing, and i must say, i do enjoy some Jodorowsky, i've actually been falling for Chileans as a whole lately wub.gif laugh.gif

Such wonder you guys have laugh.gif

I'd like to hear more films
I unfortunately passed up the chance to get The Dark Crystal on dvd, i have yet to see it, but it has that weird 70s feel to it, and amazing design

Knowing what artists, authors, filmmakers, and game developers are enjoyed by a studio i like is a really nice way for me to be introduced to art i may not have known about before

or at least delight in the connection that seems to run all around the world connecting creative minds

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Mar 13 2013, 10:05 AM
Post #14

If you haven't seen The Dark Crystal - it is a must see for anyone who likes the fantasy genre.

The Holy Mountain is a lot more weird (much more like an art film), but also very good.

You should definitely watch both.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 03:28 AM