Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rock of Ages 2 - Unit review: The Catapult
ZenoClash
post Aug 25 2016, 09:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Developers
Member No.: 158

Hey Rock of Ages fans! Continuing our development posts, on this occasion we'll be looking at the catapult and inspect what tweaks and changes have been applied to the basic shooter unit.

In the original Rock of Ages, the catapult was perhaps one of the most important defensive units because of its great effectiveness when used in larger clusters and its low cost. We're making sure that these benefits are part of the new design, but we still wanted to do some tinkering.

One of the catapult's limitations was its inability to target boulders outside of its view cone, so we added the possibility for these to rotate left or right so they can still seek for boulders that get past them.

Now those wheels have a purpose!

For best effectiveness players should still try to place catapults facing the boulder path because the rotating action can take a few seconds. Whenever the catapult no longer senses a nearby boulder it will return to its original orientation.

Old vs new

Here's a comparison between the old and the new design. The areas covered with colored cloth will display the player's team color selection.

Original RoA catapult on the left. Bigger and Boulder catapult on the right.

------

Hope everyone enjoyed this update. We'll continue inspecting many other units in future posts to come, so stay tuned for more updates!

Here are a few more screenshots of the new catapult. Click to enlarge.

This post has been edited by Dmitriy Gorbachev: Aug 25 2016, 02:56 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dmitriy Gorbache...
post Aug 25 2016, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 13,738

Well, that's broken for some reason. huh.gif I'll fix it later. Just read the blog here in meantime (if you haven't read it before, reposting it for the completeness sake).

Edit:

I broke it even more. ohmy.gif So screw it, I just removed the html code. Click the link above for a prettier version of this blog. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Dmitriy Gorbachev: Aug 25 2016, 03:00 PM

--------------------
Community manager at ACE Team.

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Aug 26 2016, 06:43 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 283

Probably a good thing - I think I barely used the catapult in the original because it didn't rotate.

+Quote Post
Dmitriy Gorbache...
post Aug 26 2016, 07:45 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,738

QUOTE (tschumann @ Aug 26 2016, 01:43 PM) *
Probably a good thing - I think I barely used the catapult in the original because it didn't rotate.

I used it a lot. It's cheap, effective and takes only one square. Catapult is great! smile.gif

--------------------
Community manager at ACE Team.

+Quote Post
tschumann
post Aug 26 2016, 11:19 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 283

I always spammed the war elephants because they could turn and move, but they were expensive and took up a bit of space. Less easy to crush than the catapult though.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Aug 30 2016, 12:56 PM
Post #6

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

War elephants have a couple of new functions/updates in the new game...

Hint: Spearman located on the top of the mounted tower (shows up in the trailer)...

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 12:46 AM