2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Half-Life 3
Roland Deschain
post Jan 19 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

So we have all seen the countless fake screenshots of what people claim to be HL3, but as great as the source engine is, its the game itself that got me interested in it. So my question to you is what do you want/ expect Valve will deliver when it comes to HL3.

Heres just a couple things I want to see.

Keep the same visual style as previous Half-Life games
I think its already a given that if Valve creates HL3 game it will be on an entirely new engine. Although we may see a huge graphical update I hope they do not change the art style for something more casual (such as the many games using the Unreal 3 engine).

More characters & new sidekick
My favorite thing about Hl2 was the chracters, and how realistic they were (spot on voice acting, unmatched facial animations, etc.) so I can't imagine why Valve wouldn't want to bring in some new characters. Also when the time comes, I think Gordan should get a new partner. As much as I like Alyx I think it would be only suitable to introduce a new sidekick, Alyx has already been in 3 games, 4 if you count the soon to be announced Episode 3. I think I speak for everyone when I say, "more Gman".

Yet another ground-breaking weapon
Valve has already featured many innovative weapons in each Half-Life, (tau cannon, gluon gun, Gravity gun, Portal gun, etc.). So I'm eager to see what Valve (with the current state of graphical fidelity and in-game physics) will be able to create.

Of course Episode 3 could make my expectations irrelevant if there is any major plot twisters (I.e. gordon dying, another Combine portal opens and enslaves the rest of humanity), but if that were to happen I'm sure many gamer's wouldn't be too happy including myself.

So lets hear what you want!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Samuel71
post Jan 19 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 126

I can't wait for this game... but first there's Episode Three. Hopefully, that'll be out this year.

--------------------
+-----{Samuel71}-----+

+Quote Post
Guest_Anonymous_*
post Jan 19 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #3

Guests

HL3 is a culmination of episodes 1, 2 and 3...

(Yes, i do listen to the developer commentary)

+Quote Post
SPYKER25
post Jan 20 2009, 03:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 58

QUOTE (Anonymous @ Jan 19 2009, 06:08 PM) *
HL3 is a culmination of episodes 1, 2 and 3...

(Yes, i do listen to the developer commentary)

Well he was obviously talking about the next true Half-Life, he mentioned the episodes and was talking about the game runnning on something other than source. The episodes are to close the HL2 story arc since the game ended so abruptly. Anyway... I want to see a whole new enviornment we already put City 17 far behind us, to the Combine home world I say!

+Quote Post
Ramius
post Jan 20 2009, 04:34 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 162

First of all something I DON'T want to see: Timetravel.
Imaging how lame it would be to return to Black Mesa to act behind the scenes and help "Young Gordon" reach the Xeno Plane (or whatever it was you fought the flying baby in)...

As for sidekick, I'd love to see more of Barney (Barry? What was that guys name again? Where is my HL2 backup, got to check...). Alyx depends on what happens in Episode 3 - after HL2 I couldn't care less about her, in Episode 1 she was OK but I really connected to her in Episode 2 and should you hear an eardrum shattering scream of rage after the Episode 3 release, you KNOW it was me and Alys died an either boring or meaningless death :/ (Yes, I really like her.)

About weapons... Give me the oportunity to modify the normal weapons and I'm there. The on-the-fly configuration they used in Crysis was really well done and I'd like to see something like that in HL3. (Anyone remember Gunman Chronicles, HL1 Engine? You also had some weapons you could configure to your liking smile.gif )

Also a quick prediction about Episode 3's major plot change: Gordon regains his ability to speak (please imagine a lightning strike and scary orchestal music)

--------------------
.o( Steal five dollars and you are a petty thief steal thousands of dollars and you are either a government or a hero.)
--Moist von Lipwig (Going Postal - Terry Pratchett)

+Quote Post
Samuel71
post Jan 20 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #6

No, no, no! Don't let Gordon Freeman speak. I like him how he is now, silent. tongue.gif

--------------------
+-----{Samuel71}-----+

+Quote Post
bgoodsell
post Jan 22 2009, 05:25 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (Samuel71 @ Jan 20 2009, 07:14 PM) *
No, no, no! Don't let Gordon Freeman speak. I like him how he is now, silent. tongue.gif

I read in Valve's design docs that Gordon was remain silent. Alyx even makes a remark about this design in Hl2.

I'm eagerly awaiting Episode 3 mainly because I'm eager to see how the universe of half life explains who the G-man is, and what happened between Hl1 and 2 to create the apocalyptic world that you play through.

That aside, Valve has been renound in making design decisions that echo through all their products. The facial work they did in Hl2 has extended in all their projects since, as well as many of their design philosophies. I'm curious to see how the director system in Left for dead and the tie in of the Portal world shape up in the third episode.

+Quote Post
Simon Says Die
post Jan 28 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 185

I, for one, DON'T want to see more G-Man. He's my favorite character, and to feature him more would make him lose his lustre. The entire point of the G-Man is how enigmatic he is.

+Quote Post
Ramius
post Jan 29 2009, 04:43 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 162

I guess it's up to Episode 3 if we see G-Man in HL3 - somehow I got the vibe that we we'll see a lot of our favorite suitcase carrier in Episode 3...

--------------------
.o( Steal five dollars and you are a petty thief steal thousands of dollars and you are either a government or a hero.)
--Moist von Lipwig (Going Postal - Terry Pratchett)

+Quote Post
Samuel71
post Jan 29 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #10

The Gman's identity, goals, and situation will have to eventually be revealed... I don't know how many games it will take, though. He is certainly an intriguing character. smile.gif

--------------------
+-----{Samuel71}-----+

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jan 29 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

I'm kind of confused whether this thread is about Half-Life 3, or Half-Life 2: Episode 3... wacko.gif

Is it confirmed that Episode 3 = HL3? ...I don't think so.

+Quote Post
tonjohn
post Jan 30 2009, 01:29 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 41

I think you guys are getting a little ahead of yourselves wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Samuel71
post Jan 30 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Jan 29 2009, 03:54 PM) *
Is it confirmed that Episode 3 = HL3? ...I don't think so.

No, Half-Life 3 will come after Episode Three (hopefully). It hasn't been officially announced, but it has been mentioned by Valve.

--------------------
+-----{Samuel71}-----+

+Quote Post
Regnareb
post Mar 27 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 320

Hi everybody.
I come after the battles but then... ^^

In fact the Episodes (1, 2, 3) are Hl3, Valve said they did a mistake on their names, they should have been Hl³:Episode 1, Hl³:Episode 2, etc...
The last time I checked it, the saga shall end with the episode 3 (an Episode 4 will perhaps come, but it's not developped by Valve).

There shall not be an Hl4 (at last Hl³ because of the mistake on the name), but if Valve do something in the future, it should certainly be on the Source engine and not on any other engine (if I believe what they say).

But personnally I don't think it will end with the episodes...

PS : Sorry for my bad english :p

+Quote Post
Samuel71
post Mar 28 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Regnareb @ Mar 27 2009, 10:28 PM) *
In fact the Episodes (1, 2, 3) are Hl3, Valve said they did a mistake on their names, they should have been Hl³:Episode 1, Hl³:Episode 2, etc...
The last time I checked it, the saga shall end with the episode 3 (an Episode 4 will perhaps come, but it's not developped by Valve).

There shall not be an Hl4 (at last Hl³ because of the mistake on the name), but if Valve do something in the future, it should certainly be on the Source engine and not on any other engine (if I believe what they say).

Just because the Half-Life 2 episodes should have been called the Half-Life 3 episodes according to Valve, that doesn't mean that the next game will be called Half-Life 4... it would still most likely be called Half-Life 3.

Also, it isn't true that Valve is ending the series with Episode Three. You can see here that they are planning to have more Half-Life games after that.

--------------------
+-----{Samuel71}-----+

+Quote Post
S0l0mon
post Apr 3 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 278

Personally I hope after Ep 3 valve lets half life sit on a shelf for a good 10 - 15 years. I would much rather see them start a new single player franchise. If they stick with the HL universe it is only going to limit what they can do.

+Quote Post
Torgue
post Apr 4 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 52

QUOTE (S0l0mon @ Apr 3 2009, 10:47 PM) *
Personally I hope after Ep 3 valve lets half life sit on a shelf for a good 10 - 15 years. I would much rather see them start a new single player franchise. If they stick with the HL universe it is only going to limit what they can do.

Great minds think alike.

+Quote Post
Regnareb
post Apr 4 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Samuel71 @ Mar 28 2009, 10:32 PM) *
Just because the Half-Life 2 episodes should have been called the Half-Life 3 episodes according to Valve, that doesn't mean that the next game will be called Half-Life 4... it would still most likely be called Half-Life 3.

It's what I said... or tried to say tongue.gif

For the "after Episode 3", it's the thirst time I see that link (if it's true), nobody really published it or spoke about it :/
But it's great if it's true ! But I prefer long title instead of episode. I hope they'll not use that format.

+Quote Post
Samuel71
post Apr 5 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Regnareb @ Apr 4 2009, 06:51 PM) *
...I prefer long title instead of episode. I hope they'll not use that format.

Same with me. I want another full-length Half-Life!

--------------------
+-----{Samuel71}-----+

+Quote Post
Ywa
post Apr 10 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 343

I suppose they will keep using the Source engine (the base). It will have major graphical improvements and such. The Source engine is very modular. So replacing old code with new code, without losing the base is relatively easy.

--------------------
I know... my avatar sucks.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2017 - 06:11 AM