Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smash Bros., WiiU/3DS/Project M
sere
post Oct 7 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,649

I've been away from the forums for a while and one reason has been because Smash Bros. has been released on 3DS. I was curious if anyone has played it or if anyone intends to play it on WiiU in about a month. I am not a dedicated fan of Smash but some of my closest friends definitely are, which makes it worth my time to maintain a competent game (I am trying very hard!).

I do not own my own copy on 3DS because all of my friends have it (4 in total) and I live with one of those friends. The other reason is because playing the game has control and input requirements several magnitudes greater than your typical hand held game; it just hurts my hands to play it on 3DS (the 3DS -XL is even worse!).

Who else plays? Who do you enjoy using? Anybody use Project M? I have a Project M setup which atm, I prefer but have only been playing it for a couple of months.
___

A couple of observations I would like to share when comparing Smash to Abyss are...

-Abyss has better, snappier turning. Smash has slower turning on the whole but offers a few more attack options when your back faces an enemy. Backs to enemies in Smash can be more of a strategic element and the one move may behave differently depending if it's back or forward facing. Abyss merely has moves that offer the ability to attack front and back at the same time.

-Abyss focuses on cancels, combos, and greater juggling while Smash places more emphasis on dodging (there are multiple types of dodges), answer/response, and setups.

-Abyss characters have smaller movesets but with a more straightforward approach to offense and lesser extent, defense. Smash characters have more moves and variety but lack the already mentioned deeper cancel & combo system Abyss uses. You can combo and juggle in Smash but to a much lesser degree.

-Edges and Ledges =D
__

Whenever a Smash character falls from a ledge they eventually land in the Abyss and populate the Warlock's nightmare.

Does that seem about right?

P.S. Assuming items off!

--------------------
-sere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Oct 8 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

Hey there! I think we've mentioned it previously here but we're HUGE Smash fans at the office, so it's pretty much a given that we'll all be playing Smash Wii U when it comes out. Only one guy owns the 3DS and he's already playing Smash 4 3DS. He brought it to the studio and I tried it and was absolutely unable to get used to the controls. I didn't give it much of a try, but most of us are waiting for the real thing (the Wii U version).

At the present moment and for the past couple of years we've been exclusively dedicated to Project M. It's a huge leap over Brawl, which in our opinion is too flawed. We've developed our meta game quite a bit, though I still think the overall level here is intermediate (no one can properly wave-dash yet tongue.gif). There is one guy here who's quite better at the game and we've learned a ton practicing with him. Actually, I don't know if anyone knows this, but the actual Project M international champion is 'CT_Zero' and he is from Chile. Very happy that a fellow countryman is the best there is in Project M.

About the Smash/Abyss comparisons; I'm really honored that you think these can be compared side by side. But my honest opinion is that Smash is more developed as a game for the obvious reasons that it's produced by a huge company like Nintendo and it has a formula that has been refined over the years. We never had any expectations that we'd be able to produce a game that competes with something as complete as Smash, when we're just a small studio and only a portion of the work produced over the development cycle was invested in the combat engine. I think the Smash roster features better variety and more interesting learning curves. Still, I'm very happy with what we've developed with Abyss and it's certainly a game that has it's own merits.

Particularly about combos and turning; interesting observations since both these aspects are being refined for the next patch. You'll see important improvements in these areas (and other areas) very soon.

BTW, who is your main in Project M? I'm a Shiek/Zelda. A little bit of Wario, Ganondorf and ROB as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2017 - 08:08 AM