Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Machine gun idea for future Zeno Clash
badsearcher
post Jun 4 2014, 01:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,256

Hello,

I think it'd be in line with the spirit of firearms in Zeno Clash, possible effectiveness with limitations relevant to their primitive nature, if there was a machine gun that had the downside of upon firing, not stopping, until it ran out of ammo.

I remember seeing in a documentary years ago that in the early 1900's (pre world war 1) there was a machine gun, fed with a stripper clip, that once the trigger was pulled it could not be stopped and it would stop only after the clip was spent.

So, I would suggest an automatic weapon that, in terms of the number and power of bullets, would be the most powerful weapon in the game BUT it would basically be a single use gun because it would burn through all of its bullets without stopping AND it would have a lot of inconsistent side to side recoil, forcing players to have to carefully choose when they pull the trigger.

Maybe the weapon could be portrayed as having a fuse instead of a trigger which would add an additional element of challenge because there would be a slight delay before it would begin to fire AND sentient enemies would see the fuse lit up and scatter, which would increase the challenge of using a machine gun.

Or maybe it would have some kind of stopper that prevents the gun from firing that would have to be broken in order to allow the firing mechanism to work.

Food for thought.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
badsearcher
post Jun 4 2014, 02:09 AM
Post #2

Side thought: Maybe there should be an extra hard mode where, because of all weapons primitive nature, they have a chance of jamming before you use all of the bullets and so you get a jam and suddenly you don't have as many bullets as you were expecting.

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jun 4 2014, 03:36 PM
Post #3

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

Nice ideas! We did some research on antique weaponry when we were designing the first firearms. Maybe we saw the design you are talking about then. The description sounds familiar, though I can't seem to picture it in my head. Maybe you can provide a link?

+Quote Post
badsearcher
post Jun 4 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Andres Bordeu @ Jun 4 2014, 12:36 PM) *
Nice ideas! We did some research on antique weaponry when we were designing the first firearms. Maybe we saw the design you are talking about then. The description sounds familiar, though I can't seem to picture it in my head. Maybe you can provide a link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_M19...ders1914-15.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_M19...cie_machine_gun

I think this was the gun. I remember years ago I saw a documentary about Francisco "Pancho" Villa's raid on Columbus, New Mexico and they talked about how the Americans had a machine gun that couldn't stop firing once it started but this was the only machine gun I could find that was named and used in that battle. Any information I've found on this machine gun mentioned no such limitation so the documentary may have been wrong.

Still, I think it would make a good gameplay mechanic for a weapon in Zeno Clash.

+Quote Post
badsearcher
post Jun 5 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #5

Maybe it could be a type of volley gun*, but to make it more in line with the Zeno Clash aesthetic the barrels could be made of different materials and of different sizes and lengths. Maybe the projectiles would have a variable amount of damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley_gun

+Quote Post
Andres Bordeu
post Jun 9 2014, 11:09 AM
Post #6

Group: Developers
Member No.: 3

Nice machine guns! I guess they would have had to come up with something like that in our fiction, but it would have to be stationary.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: