Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hammer problems...
Guest_Dandi8_*
post Aug 4 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hey, can I have a tutorial on how to set up Hammer, please? I downloaded the SDK, unpacked it to the zenoclash folder, made a simple map (also why is the enemies' pivot point so messed up?) and wanted to compile it... And that's about when things went boom.

The expert compile options box is EMPTY and when I compile with normal here's what I get:
CODE
[...]
occluder polygons        0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%)
occluder vert ind        0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%)
detail props          [variable]           1/12       ( 8.3%)
static props          [variable]           1/16       ( 6.3%)
pakfile               [variable]          54/0        ( 0.0%)
physics               [variable]        2303/4194304  ( 0.1%)
physics terrain       [variable]           2/1048576  ( 0.0%)

Level flags = 0

Total triangle count: 30
Writing d:\program files\steam\steamapps\dandi8\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\zenotest.bsp
0 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\dandi8\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\zenotest.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\zenoclash\zenozoik\maps\zenotest.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
  "The system cannot find the path specified."

So yeah, what the hell and how can I fix it?
smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JuanBriones
post Aug 4 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Developers
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Dandi8 @ Aug 4 2009, 01:19 PM) *
Hey, can I have a tutorial on how to set up Hammer, please? I downloaded the SDK, unpacked it to the zenoclash folder, made a simple map (also why is the enemies' pivot point so messed up?) and wanted to compile it... And that's about when things went boom.

The expert compile options box is EMPTY and when I compile with normal here's what I get:
CODE
[...]
occluder polygons        0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%)
occluder vert ind        0/0               0/0        ( 0.0%)
detail props          [variable]           1/12       ( 8.3%)
static props          [variable]           1/16       ( 6.3%)
pakfile               [variable]          54/0        ( 0.0%)
physics               [variable]        2303/4194304  ( 0.1%)
physics terrain       [variable]           2/1048576  ( 0.0%)

Level flags = 0

Total triangle count: 30
Writing d:\program files\steam\steamapps\dandi8\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\zenotest.bsp
0 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\dandi8\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\zenotest.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\zenoclash\zenozoik\maps\zenotest.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
  "The system cannot find the path specified."

So yeah, what the hell and how can I fix it?
smile.gif

Apparently your GameConfig.txt has a path error; I've notice that your map source is in "D:\program files\..." and the compiled maps are in "C:\program files\..." that must be the error. Make sure that both paths are in the same drive.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dandi8_*
post Aug 4 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #3

Guests

How could I have missed it O.O

Anyways, now the map compiles fine but...

1)it stops at:
CODE
** Executing...
** Command: "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\zenoclash\zenozoik.exe"
** Parameters: -game "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\zenoclash\zenozoik"  +map "zenotest"

And does nothing. I have to manually open the game and the map with a shortcut. Why?

2) When I open the map, I'm only allowed to run around, I can't kick or punch (unlike all enemies that I spawn). Why?

3) The pivot point for the enemies is all messed up in the editor. Why?

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 4 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Dandi8 @ Aug 4 2009, 05:24 PM) *
2) When I open the map, I'm only allowed to run around, I can't kick or punch (unlike all enemies that I spawn). Why?

3) The pivot point for the enemies is all messed up in the editor. Why?

I'll leave answer #1 for Juan.

2) You need to execute the command 'zenocombatmodeon' to enable the player to fighting mode. The game defaults at 'zenocombatmodeoff'.

3) It's the same for us. Ignore it. I think it has something to do with how they are exported from Max.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Aug 4 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Guests

Just wanted to tell you:
You guys are great, but your exporter dudes are lazy as hell... I'm a dev myself (homebrew only for now, tho) and c'mon, you can't tell me it's THAT hard to fix the pivot and reexport it.

And where do I execute the command? I can't find the "enable console" button in the configuation menu. Was there some kind of a shortcut command to enable commands...?

And a bonus question: How many of you guys are actually browsing this forum and... well, caring about the community unlike those OTHER guys (yes, I'm talking about YOU, Atari!)? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 4 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Guest @ Aug 4 2009, 06:33 PM) *
Just wanted to tell you:
You guys are great, but your exporter dudes are lazy as hell...

The exporter dude (no plural) is the same guy who practically coded the entire game by himself. David had to do soooo many things that we never complained over small things like this.

And where do I execute the command? I can't find the "enable console" button in the configuation menu. Was there some kind of a shortcut command to enable commands...?

Juan is more acquainted with Hammer than I. He'll give you the answer on how to set console commands for levels early tomorrow.

And a bonus question: How many of you guys are actually browsing this forum and... well, caring about the community unlike those OTHER guys (yes, I'm talking about YOU, Atari!)? smile.gif

I browse the forums A LOT (both Steam and this). Andres also answers a lot of stuff, and Juan is a bit more active here now with the SDK. The other guys look around here now and then, but we do keep an eye on these forums quite a lot.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Aug 4 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Aug 4 2009, 07:08 PM) *
The exporter dude (no plural) is the same guy who practically coded the entire game by himself. David had to do soooo many things that we never complained over small things like this.

Wow, you guys ARE great. What's the size of the team working on Zeno Clash anyway?

Can't wait to get my console question answered smile.gif

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 4 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Guest @ Aug 4 2009, 07:18 PM) *
Wow, you guys ARE great. What's the size of the team working on Zeno Clash anyway?

Can't wait to get my console question answered smile.gif

For Zeno Clash we had:

3 Designers / Artists (one of those is me cool.gif )
1 Artist
1 Level Designer
1 Animator
1 Programmer for 98% of the coding
1 Sound Guy
1 Music Guy
0 Producers (well... I guess Andres and I did that part too wacko.gif )

...that's it...

The team will grow / is growing with a couple of new artists and a programmer.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dandi8_*
post Aug 4 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #9

Guests

Well, since you're one ninth of the team and I'm still waiting for the answer, here's some fan feedback:
Not sure if anyone's told you yet (probably yes) but that stuff near the ending when it's all dark and creepy and you meet the blue egyptian guy was pretty boring. Not the style you wanna go when trying to create dark and creepy. I could make a long post about how to make a dark and creepy environment but hey, you're the pros and I'm only a mere fan smile.gif

And what's up with him not helping with any fighting? I know you guys only have one programmer but if you made him throw some bolts or something it would be a much better game. Would make more sense, anyway (hey, I'm an all-powerful near-god being. But I'm not gonna help you fight. I'm a freakin' pacifist.)

Also, WOW, only 1 level designer... Impressive.

And... Probably should change that topic name since it all got so off-topic but what the hell. How hard would it be to actually join your ranks, guys? Does one need a PHD, MIT and a crowbar (obvious reference to Gordon Freeman) or can it be any random Joe who just happens to be a good 3D modeller? I want to make games some day (well, I do now but I wanna earn a living from it later) and it's driving me nuts - SHOULD I finish a game design university or is this not so important in the games industry? There are no such unis in my country so I'd have to leave to USA or England so that's a biggy. And if, are there any such universities some of you guys finished that you would reccommend? Are you going to still exist in a few years from now (should I prove worthy to be recruited by you some day)?

It all got so... personal... Hope you don't mind smile.gif

Oh and this thread also seems to be the best place for my words of praise:
You gave free DLC for Garry's mod (I don't have it but what the heck), you released the new tower challenge AND you gave us the SDK. Rarely anyone gives free DLC these days. You guys are *awesome*.

And do you mind if I ask some more stuff about your work later? Some stuff's bugging me and devs themselves rarely speak to the fans.

+Quote Post
Gentleman
post Aug 5 2009, 07:26 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 739

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Aug 5 2009, 01:36 AM) *
For Zeno Clash we had:

3 Designers / Artists (one of those is me cool.gif )
1 Artist
1 Level Designer
1 Animator
1 Programmer for 98% of the coding
1 Sound Guy
1 Music Guy
0 Producers (well... I guess Andres and I did that part too wacko.gif )

...that's it...

The team will grow / is growing with a couple of new artists and a programmer.

Of course, you need many of these:

--------------------
Zeno Clash 2!

+Quote Post
Shakur
post Aug 5 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 750

QUOTE (Dandi8 @ Aug 4 2009, 11:01 PM) *
...And do you mind if I ask some more stuff about your work later? Some stuff's bugging me and devs themselves rarely speak to the fans.

HINT: PM them... wink.gif That way you will probably even get answered faster.

--------------------

PICKLES IS GREAT!
HERE CHOOSE ONE!

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 5 2009, 09:28 AM
Post #12

Yeah... the conversation is a bit off topic now, but hey... it's your thread. smile.gif

Juan is the only dedicated level designer, but Edmundo does a lot of it too. Andres also worked on it a little. With such a small team you usually have to do many, many multiple tasks.

Getting to work here (and we're not hiring now, but we might later) has one main requirement that not many people will likely accept. You have to live in Chile. We don't work remotely and all the team members live here at Santiago, Chile. Justifying a relocation can be a difficult thing, especially for an indie studio.

We're open to answer questions here. Sometimes we'll be more busy... sometimes we'll have more spare time. If you ask me details about ZC2 I won't answer BTW tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JuanBriones
post Aug 5 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #13

Administrator

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Dandi8 @ Aug 4 2009, 06:24 PM) *
1)it stops at:
CODE
** Executing...
** Command: "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\zenoclash\zenozoik.exe"
** Parameters: -game "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\zenoclash\zenozoik"  +map "zenotest"

And does nothing. I have to manually open the game and the map with a shortcut. Why?

We can't make that the map run's after compiling, that's why we create "run_dev.bat", this shortcut starts the game with the console open, so you can load your map just writing "map yourmap".

Tips: remember, there a lot of usefull console commands, check it here

If you want to have the 'zenocombaton' already executed when you play your map, do this:

1 - In hammer, create an 'logic_playerproxy' entity
2 - Put it a name like "player_proxy"
3 - Create another entity named 'logic_auto'
4 - In the entity outputs, add this:
-My output named = OnMapSpawn
-Target entities named = player_proxy
-Via this input = SetCombatMode
-With a parameter override of = 1

DONE! your map now will starts with Zeno Combat mode ON wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gentleman
post Aug 5 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

What about supporters Carlos, do they have to live in Chile? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Zeno Clash 2!

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 5 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Gentleman @ Aug 5 2009, 01:01 PM) *
What about supporters Carlos, do they have to live in Chile? rolleyes.gif

No... not really. Anywhere is fine. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gentleman
post Aug 6 2009, 06:16 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Hurrah!

--------------------
Zeno Clash 2!

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Aug 7 2009, 05:51 AM
Post #17

Guests

Thanks for the answers. But can you answer my biggest question of all?
Does one need a PHD, MIT and a crowbar (obvious reference to Gordon Freeman) or can it be any random Joe who just happens to be a good 3D modeller? I want to make games some day (well, I do now but I wanna earn a living from it later) and it's driving me nuts - SHOULD I finish a game design university or is this not so important in the games industry? There are no such unis in my country so I'd have to leave to USA or England so that's a biggy.

That one's been eating away at me one bite at a time for the last several years and you're the only people I know that could answer this smile.gif

And being so cool and all, giving us the free DLC and SDK stuff, unlike those OTHER guys, I was hoping you'd help a lad ^^

Oh and...
Ha, Oblivion reference! biggrin.gif

Go Ace Team!

+Quote Post
Gentleman
post Aug 7 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Guest @ Aug 7 2009, 10:51 AM) *
Ha, Oblivion reference! biggrin.gif

angry.gif By me.

--------------------
Zeno Clash 2!

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Aug 7 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (Guest @ Aug 7 2009, 05:51 AM) *
Thanks for the answers. But can you answer my biggest question of all?

I can't speak for all studios, as things have changed and evolved a lot in this industry during the last years, but we have never hired someone based on degrees. For artists we look at their skills, at their work. One of the best artists I've ever worked with (Jose Tomas Morande) learned most of his 3D artist skills on his own BUT he studied art. Pure art. The one where you sculpt, paint, draw and no computers are involved. His art knowledge gave him a major edge as a professional and I would definitely be more interested in an artist that studied art than one that studied game design or computer graphics after having worked with Jose Tomas.

Art schools are everywhere...

+Quote Post
Gentleman
post Aug 7 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

I love art!

--------------------
Zeno Clash 2!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: