Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ahhh good ol' steam forums
sere
post Jul 22 2014, 08:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,649

As usual, I got carried away with forum posting. Steam forums are great because posting there is a nice blur between conflict and competition, life and death. I do like to try and keep my act clean, though, to not reflect poorly on games I like to play or discuss. That may soon be impossible.

I have said this before and I firmly believe that I am 100% correct in saying it again that reviews from any size or standing are dying and being replaced by an alarming trend of so called "first impressions" that serve no other purpose other than passing FINAL judgements. It's messed up and you can easily see it, plain as day, behind so many complaints being levied against games by people who take issue with something that would otherwise be answered or solved simply by progressing in the game.

Abyss Odyssey, at this time, holds the record for the number of how many times the same unfounded complaint can be brought forth. 100% percent of the instances of the complaint being made are done so with first impressions acting as final word.

If you don't believe me just read a few comments on "clunky controls" and prepare to facepalm. I haven't found even one comment that brings up the parry, which indicates people are not understanding just what they have at their disposal and how to use it. Some people didn't even bother to consider that with such a big roster that there would be variety in the movement and command speeds between the many characters.

IGN feels like a hallmark of justice compared to today's average steam comment.

--------------------
-sere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jul 26 2014, 01:14 AM
Post #2

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

I actually had a conversation with Andres the other day and I said that basically both Abyss and Zeno Clash 2 share the same problem, which is:

Both games look terrible when you see a video of someone playing through a 'first impressions' session. (If you would like to vomit I invite you to see this Youtuber's mad skillz at ZC2: The Horror! - Starts at 9:00).

In other words: Both game are hard. They both require you to learn them before you can play them without looking like a handicapped monkey. I think we have the problem of having our game design philosophies too inspired by retro-hard gaming, and maybe not in tune with the ever expanding demographic of more casual gamers.

Rock of Ages was much, much easier to play (despite being somewhat complicated in the defense mode) so we didn't have so many complaints about the gameplay. And I've noticed that a lot of indie mega-hits (and AAA titles) are games that you cannot make them look bad - no matter how much you try. How would you make The Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy or Bastion look terrible? You just can't. You can lose in those game, but you cannot make them look "clunky", you can only make the people playing them look bad. And I guess it has to do with having very simple controls and uncomplicated game mechanics.

Oh well... our next game shouldn't be hard to play (given the genre). unsure.gif

+Quote Post
sere
post Jul 26 2014, 06:12 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,649

QUOTE (Carlos Bordeu @ Jul 26 2014, 01:14 AM) *
I invite you to see this Youtuber's mad skillz at ZC2: The Horror! - Starts at 9:00)

OMG can't unsee!

I need to stop posting so much in the steam forums anyway. Being excited by maybe 2 games a year makes the immediate couple of weeks following their releases feel like a party and everybody is talking the cool thing going on. Some people have different ideas and it's neat to talk about them but some people seem clueless; I can't figure out their reasoning is why they would feel compelled to be as loud as possible as soon as possible (ACE abandoned their game, lazy evil devs, stupid ideas, CLUNKY COMBAT) =D

I see quite a few members here in the steam forums as well, they usually end up having the most constructive, helpful, and insightful things to say. Abyss has definitely attracted some good crowd too!

--------------------
-sere

+Quote Post
Carlos Bordeu
post Jul 26 2014, 02:54 PM
Post #4

Group: Developers
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (sere @ Jul 26 2014, 06:12 AM) *
I see quite a few members here in the steam forums as well, they usually end up having the most constructive, helpful, and insightful things to say. Abyss has definitely attracted some good crowd too!

Indeed. We're super happy about all the incredible support we've gotten and the combo video thread alone really makes me put a huge smile on my face. I'm well aware that there are much more people who like than dislike. I guess it is just difficult to not get a bit absorbed by the negative comments and want to figure out why. After all, understanding them and trying to learn about all this can help us deliver better games in the future.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2017 - 07:13 PM